VirtualBox and SSD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
PavloM

VirtualBox and SSD

Post by PavloM »

Hello.

I use VirtualBox-5.1.18-114002-Win on Windows 7 and few virtual machines on it. I always install additions to guests.

I have an SSD drive and it worked great, until I switched motherboard from H110 to H170 few weeks ago. After that I get it disappears from host system, but only if I run virtual box images on it. I tested SSD with copy/delete large files for a week on scheduler, and it works fine. Only VirtualBox images crash it. I tried few workstations images. Same result. Same images works stable on rotating HDD.

While search for solution I started to ask from motherboard manufacturer support forum. There is more detailed description and my hardware report https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=285029.0

Will this have a chance to work stable or I have just forget about SSD for virtualbox?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox and SSD

Post by socratis »

PavloM wrote:I have an SSD drive
• Internal? External? I would assume internal, but please confirm.
• SATA? USB? I would assume SATA, but please confirm.
• System? Data? I would assume data, but please confirm.
• Primary (C:\)? Secondary (> D:\)? I would assume > D:\, but please confirm.
PavloM wrote:it disappears from host system, but only if I run virtual box images on it
Do you mean that you run VirtualBox on your system, and the SSD disappears from the host? As in the WinExplorer you can't see anymore your SSD?
PavloM wrote: Only VirtualBox images crash it
Crash? Or make it disappear? Is there a crash involved here?
PavloM wrote:Will this have a chance to work stable or I have just forget about SSD for virtualbox?
VirtualBox doesn't care if the drive is an SSD or HDD, so I don't know what the problem is. A lot of people are using SSDs with VirtualBox, both internal and external, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Remember, if you have a problem you have to give a detailed problem description and step-by-step instructions on what you're doing, what you were expecting to see, versus what you actually saw. And of course diagnostics: logs, error messages, crash dumps, etc. A generic description is not enough.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

Hello.

I cannot understand what happen with my system. I tried to start one of my VM workstations and for last week I not see any issues with SSD any more. I almost not used this workstation, because after I did this post I take new hardware and put most of my work stuff there, and was not able to make more tests (I thought I will run my problematic environment later and after catch a problem will post VM log here). This looks for me as I not changed anything, but it works stable now... Weird. This issue was hit me for a two weeks, before I got new hardware. Just one thing I imagine could fix this - is some library update caused by some of other installed software auto update.

I will report here if will find this happen once more and attach logs. But now it works.

Config details:
SSD external, SATA. The SSD drive was disappeared if it was system or data drive. Not sure here:
• System? Data? I would assume data, but please confirm.
• Primary (C:\)? Secondary (> D:\)? I would assume > D:\, but please confirm.
Is System and Primary (c:\) not the same thing? Any way SSD have just one partition, and I used SSD as system drive, then set up system on HDD, and formatted SSD. After that I tried to start VM from SSD and it disappears either.

SSD disappears from windows host. I cannot see it in explorer, and in Device manager. When I reboot with reset it is absent in BIOS too. Only if I turn off host PC and start it I can see SSD in BIOS and it works as it should.

When SSD is system drive and it disappears from system, system crashes. That what I mean about crash. If SSD not system drive and it disappears from system, no crash happen with host, but guest stops work.
Attachments
System Info.nfo.zip
System info I did when this issue happen.
(60.72 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, great, thanks for the information.
Since it works now, we'll leave this open (not marked as [Solved]) and if you see it again, let us know...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.