Windows 10 Creator Kills VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Windows 10 Creator Kills VirtualBox

Post by saberman »

Upgraded to Windows 10 Creator and VirtualBox can't start. Takes a while and then get the following:
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.
Completely failed to instantiate CLSID_VirtualBox: CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE.
Result Code: CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (0x80080005)
Component: VirtualBoxClientWrap
Interface: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}

I was running 5.1.20 and tried upgrading to 5.1.22 but that didn't help.. Will try to revert Windows 10 to prior version.

Edit: Reverted Windows 10 Pro x63 to prior build and VirtualBox 5.1.22 is working.
Edit2: Set Windows Update to defer feature upgrades to stop Windows 10 Creator from installing again.
Last edited by saberman on 5. May 2017, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
saberman

Re: Windows 10 Creator Kills VirtualBox

Post by saberman »

I am running Windows VMs: XP, 7, 10. If I let a Windows 10 Pro x64 update to Creator will I also have problems?
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

The Windows 'Creator' update carries out a total replacement of your existing Windows 10 setup and, in my experience, that always runs the risk of disrupting any software that is 'woven' into the existing OS setup, hence the repeated problems users experience with third party security applications; and even Microsoft Office applications, that have been regularly reported on Windows Forums. Have you thought of completely uninstalling the VirtualBox application prior to applying the Windows update and reinstalling afterwards? That shouldn't affect any existing VMs, but you should, of course, take backups of those as well as all your other personal data before allowing the update to proceed.
athosbr99

Post by athosbr99 »

I'm using the Creators Update on both laptops and Virtualbox runs fine.
saberman

Post by saberman »

erdeslawe wrote:Have you thought of completely uninstalling the VirtualBox application prior to applying the Windows update and reinstalling afterwards? That shouldn't affect any existing VMs, but you should, of course, take backups of those as well as all your other personal data before allowing the update to proceed.
If I completely uninstall VirtualBox won't that remove a number of VB definition files (i.e. Virtual Media Manager definitions, etc.)?

Please note that I did install 5.1.22 after I discovered that VirtualBox would not start and that did not help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

saberman wrote:If I completely uninstall VirtualBox won't that remove a number of VB definition files (i.e. Virtual Media Manager definitions, etc.)?
No.
saberman wrote:Please note that I did install 5.1.22 after I discovered that VirtualBox would not start and that did not help.
How?
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  4. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  5. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
saberman

Post by saberman »

Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I use a registry entry to mount a folder as a drive. The Creator update removed it and some others.

I forgot I had the same problem in upgrading to 1607: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80524