iPhone not getting attached to guest VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
benydc

iPhone not getting attached to guest VM

Post by benydc »

I have a guest VM on windows 10 host and it has worked fine previously with my iPhone. I would attach the iPhone USB and the guest VM would recognize the iPhone and see it in the USB bottom corner icon.

Since the update of my iphone to iOS 10.3.1, I cannot attach the iPhone to the guest VM, it's not even in the list on the bottom corner USB icon. This has nothing to do with the guest VM, it has not been changed at all and the problem started since the iOS update.

If I remove it from hardware port, those 2 iPhone devices will still be under devices tab.

I'm using the latest stable version of virtualbox with latest version for USB extensions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: iPhone not getting attached to guest VM

Post by socratis »

benydc wrote:I have a guest VM on windows 10 host
Would that be the same OSX guest that you were told is not supported and got yourself a locked topic? And now you're using the generic "guest VM" instead of "OSX guest"?

Trying to outsmart the moderators is a sure way to get you banned. Truth of the matter is that you will need to provide logs and other information. Once it's clearer what you're talking about, you'll get another locked topic.

You have been warned.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
benydc

Post by benydc »

Hi socratis,

I am not trying to outsmart anyone, I just want to fix the issue with my USB filter. I have a Win10 Pro x64 guest OS inside the guest VM and it doesn't matter what guest OS I have, the iPhone USB doesn't get passed to the guest VM. The bottom corner USB icon says: No USB devices attached

The information is correct for the iPhone USB filter, kindly find attached the screenshot, I am trying to attach the logs but says that they are too big, 133KiB.

Ben C.
Attachments
iPhone USB Filter.png
iPhone USB Filter.png (106.9 KiB) Viewed 36205 times
Last edited by socratis on 4. May 2017, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If logs are too big then compress (zip) them.
benydc

Post by benydc »

Find attached the archive with logs.

Ben C.
Attachments
VMlogs.zip
(86.19 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I would try trimming down that filter to the minimum possible. Otherwise I have no idea why it would not be visible. Did you install (or allow Windows to install) the iPhone drivers? The latest smartphones don't always connect as mass storage.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And just to make clear what the "absolute" minimum is: the VendorID. Usually you leave the ProductID as well. And you make sure that the rest are deleted.

Also take a look at the articles in USB basics and troubleshooting.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
benydc

Post by benydc »

Thanks, I removed the drivers of the iPhone on the host and it works fine now.
SaloS

Post by SaloS »

I have same issue. iphone with ios 10.3.1 and higher is not recognized. But with ios 10.3.0 it recognized correctly. And all other devices with ios 10.3.0 and lower are recognized but higher are not.
I've removed Apple Mobile Support drivers. But it did not help me.
Probably I need to remove iphone driver at all?

I have no filters I'm trying to connect using devices tab (iphone presence here) and after I click on iphone no checkmark appears. On iphone even batery color become while (i.e. it is not charging) and then switch back to host system. Iphone even does not ask to trust this pc.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SaloS wrote:iphone with ios 10.3.1 and higher is not recognized. But with ios 10.3.0 it recognized correctly
SaloS wrote:I have no filters I'm trying to connect using devices tab
Then maybe something changed on the host side or on the device and you will have to create a USB filter after all. Please read the previous posts on how to do that.
Dan12345

Post by Dan12345 »

Has anyone got any updates to this? I'm having exactly the same problem. Many thanks.
JeffG

Post by JeffG »

I am having this same problem.

Hopefully, Oracle will provide a fix soon.
mytchb

Post by mytchb »

I too had an error where my guest OS wouldn't detect my iPhone.
Couldn't fix it on Virtualbox end so solved it by using this awesome program I found someone else link to which lets you share USB over wifi:

It's from eltima . com and called 'usb-over-ethernet'
(Can't post link as not a member for 1day/1post)

Then the guestOS recognised the phone as if it was directly was plugged in!!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Be very careful. I'm relatively happy that this was innocent, but using both your first two posts to post offsite advertising links on the same day you join is a pretty good way to get yourself identified as a spammer and banned...
Duduulopes

Post by Duduulopes »

mytchb wrote:I too had an error where my guest OS wouldn't detect my iPhone.
Couldn't fix it on Virtualbox end so solved it by using this awesome program I found someone else link to which lets you share USB over wifi:

It's from eltima . com and called 'usb-over-ethernet'
(Can't post link as not a member for 1day/1post)

Then the guestOS recognised the phone as if it was directly was plugged in!!
Someone test this solution?