Windows 10 Creators Update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vbu04302017

Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by vbu04302017 »

Virtualbox running so slow as to be unusable after installing Windows 10 Creators Update. All my VM's were working fine before the update. Is this a known issue? Is it a Virtualbox or a Windows 10 problem? Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this or when it may be fixed in a future update?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by BillG »

I have not seen that problem and I don't recall seeing any other reports of it here. Have you notices any problems with any other program? Has anything else in your system changed?
Bill
vbu04302017

Post by vbu04302017 »

It happened directly after updating to Windows 10 Creators Update. It was working fine before that. I haven't changed anything else.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

And you already uninstalled and reinstalled VirtualBox after this major host OS update, right?
vbu04302017

Post by vbu04302017 »

Uninstalled and reinstalled. Updated to latest version. Tried downgrading to previous versions. Checked virtualization in BIOS settings.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Check that Hyper-V is turned off and uninstalled?
vbu04302017

Post by vbu04302017 »

I have Windows 10 Home but yes. I double checked that.
Cadprofessor

Post by Cadprofessor »

I have the exact same issue. Windows 10 running slow after install Creators update. I tried uninstalling the update. That did not work since MS remove the rollback. At least on mine. Just installed the newest VBox, hoping that will help. Any other ideas. Thanks.
massula
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: Mostly, Windows XP machines

Post by massula »

I'm having issues with WinXP guests running inside a Win10 host.

My VMs where very snappy until two weeks ago. But now they are sluggish.

I have dual boot on this notebook, and inside Ubuntu, the VMs run fast as before. The problem is only when they run inside Win10.

At first, I was thinking the problem where Windows rot, but the system still have an overall good performance. The sluggshiness is only with the VMs.

I've already checked BIOS settings and all the stuff. Someone with the same problem?
chrisdown68

Post by chrisdown68 »

I built a fresh Linux Mint 18.1 VM - worked fine until I intsalled the 5.1.22 extension pack then VM becomes so slow it is unusable. Interestingly, the VM performance seems ok from boot up to the point of loging into the VM. Weird. Hope they fix this soon.
MariusFilo

Post by MariusFilo »

I had the same slow VB after update. Solved after visiting laracasts com , search "virtualbox slow" and at the firs result I found that the problem appears with the dynamically allocated drives. Converted to fixed as the article said and everything is fine.

I will post the link tomorrow, because this "smart" forum is not allowing me to post links if I am not old enough as user.
massula
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: Mostly, Windows XP machines

Post by massula »

If everything gone well, the link mentioned by MariusFilo is this one (he sent it to me):

https://laracasts.com/discuss/channels/ ... on-windows

I will try this later.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's utter nonsense! I want to see proof for that one. Not the uneducated random writings of I-Don't-Know-Who random blogger.

@massula
You're going to be wasting time and space, but feel free to try it. And please post some benchmarks!!!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Benchmarks would not satisfy me. If things get faster or slower you need to prove that this was caused (or cured) by the change suggested, and not by something else entirely (such as giving Win10 update time to complete).

Even better, suggest the mechanism whereby two identical file formats produce different results (yes, fixed and dynamic VDI are the same format, only the file size is different).

Correlation is not causation.
MariusFilo

Post by MariusFilo »

@socratis and @mpack

It seems that is easier to ask for proofs or to complain about the source of that info than to try to solve a problem and maybe to try o help other people.
It's as simple as that: I need to use 3-4 virtual machines with the same virtual hardware resources, having Windows 7 on them (software testing). After installing the Creators Update I have noticed that all these machines were very slow, unusable. Tried to uninstall/reinstall Vb but nothing worked. I created a new VM (dynamically allocated hdd) but the result was the same. I found the link you are so scared about. I created another machine with fixed size hdd, it worked just fine, installed everything I need on it and after one day of intense using it's still OK, while all the other machines (having dynamically allocated hdd) are still unusable.
If you think that I have to prove or to explain anything, I think that you'd better consume your energy asking Oracle to release an update to solve this problem, II really think that they can explain a lot better.
Or or stop whinning and revert that Creators Update.
I tried to post the link for some less "academic" people and I wrote here only after testing. I don't have the time and/or intention to do any benchmarks or explanations.