can't remove oboslete optical disks in virtual media manager

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jrc55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, fedora16

can't remove oboslete optical disks in virtual media manager

Post by jrc55 »

Using VBox 5.1.22 on a Windows 10 64 bit host. Guest is linux but I don't think that matters as this occurs outside of the guest.

I had attached an ISO on a IDE controller and used it successfully. Later deleted this ISO. When I go back into VBox it tells me the ISO cannot be found ... but the option to 'remove' is greyed out so I am unable to remove this obsolete ISO entry. It used to work but I don't know which version of VBox caused the change. Was this by design?

Thanks for any help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: can't remove oboslete optical disks in virtual media manager

Post by mpack »

You have to release it from any VMs currently using it. That means any VMs which reference it from a saved state or a snapshot.
jrc55

Post by jrc55 »

Thanks mpack. That info solved my issue. But it does lead me to question the wording of the VBox warning message that is given. Maybe a few more words like those you gave me would be in order ... in addition to what is already given??? Anyway ... food for thought. My compliments to the chefs. Thanks again.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Which wording are you objecting to? The relevant information was not a word, it was that the media options were grayed out, meaning they were in use. Grayed out is typically quite easy to understand.
jrc55

Post by jrc55 »

I'm sorry that I was confusing. It's not the existing wording that is bad ... it's that I think a few more words that could encapsulate what you told me would help. The feature that optical disk files that are referenced cannot be removed after being deleted is not obvious to everyone. I've been using the product for years and did not know that. I guess my brain hasn't done it often enough to memorize it. :) All I saw was that it referenced a file that I had deleted and thought VBox should allow me to remove it when I went to the virtual media manager, and it seemed like a bug when it wasn't an option. Maybe a few words like : File referenced in a snapshot/saved state and cannot be Removed ... in the location box at the bottom of the "optical disks" panel would suffice ??? And maybe in red to catch peoples eyes??? Or may leave the "Remove" option active but respond with an explanation when clicked-on?? Just something to help the user understand the "remove" option is grayed out on purpose ... and not a bug.

Thanks again.