VirtualBox NAT and ProxyCap

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jmorey

VirtualBox NAT and ProxyCap

Post by jmorey »

VirtualBox NAT does not seem to play well with programs like ProxyCap, which is used to redirect internet traffic through a proxy. ProxyCap changes the windows TCP/IP stack and VirtualBox NAT does not seem to like this. I can get VirtualBox NAT to work by resetting the network config (i.e. running "netsh winsock reset"), but this obviously breaks ProxyCap.

Bridged adapter works just fine, but this method is not ideal for a number of reasons.

With a Windows 7 host, from guest I am unable to ping a host name, but I am able to ping an IP address directly (like 216.58.219.142). I am also unable to go directly to the IP address in a browser. This makes sense since pinging uses ICMB protocol, but DNS lookup and web browsing is over TCP or UDP (which is the traffic ProxyCap routes).

Thanks
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VirtualBox NAT and ProxyCap

Post by BillG »

Is there question in there somewhere or is it just a statement?

Does ProxyCap usually work behind a NAT router?
Bill
mipas1

Re: VirtualBox NAT and ProxyCap

Post by mipas1 »

I wish I saw this two days ago as I just spent them trying to figure our why NAT doesn't work for me. :cry:
I tried at least 5 versions of VirtualBox, learned how to clean registry after uninstall, removed .virtualbox directory several times, learned about natdnshostresolver1 option, used process explorer to check for any dll issues, read probably every thread related to NAT on this forum and also on stackoverflow, learned how to create pcap files for Wireshark, turned off antivirus 20 times, rebooted my machine at least 100 times, just to find out it was caused by ProxyCap which was not even started :shock:

If anybody from VirtualBox development team is reading this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE create a check for presence of ProxyCap in the list of installed applications and popup a warning saying something like "WARNING: VirtualBox NAT networking won't work with ProxyCap installed on the same host".

I cannot imagine how a regular user (not a programmer or network professional) would find/fix this on his own.