Virtualbox not working anymore on Win10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ben321

Virtualbox not working anymore on Win10

Post by Ben321 »

It used to work on Windows 10, but it doesn't anymore. Maybe a Windows update at some point broke it? I've tried reinstalling it, and even downloading the latest version of Virtual Box and installing it. None of this works. How broken is it? It doesn't even START. Doesn't even show a splash screen or anything. When I check Task Manager, I see that indeed the EXE files isn't running, so it must have attempted to do something during the loading process of VirtualBox.exe that is incompatible with with whatever the current updates are on Windows (I always download and install the latest updates, assuming that Microsoft knows its own OS, and would never create an update that broke anything, just fixed things that were already broken), leading to a crash in less than a second after double-clicking the exe file to start the program. Please, anybody here on the forum know how to get around this problem? And Oracle employees, please update VirtualBox to be compatible on Windows 10 with all current updates installed.
Ben321

Re: Virtualbox not working anymore on Win10

Post by Ben321 »

Finally got it working. I uninstalled it and then checked for any files it left behind that might be holding settings for it that could cause problems. I ended up deleting the folder '.VirtualBox" (and yes its name starts with a period), located at the path:
c:\users\MYUSERNAME\.virtualbox

I first uninstalled VirtualBox and then deleted the above mentioned folder, and then reinstalled it. After reinstalling it this time, I rebooted the computer (to make sure all settings that would need to be applied at boot-up would be applied). After this, VirtualBox worked. Not sure if that will help every similar situation, but if you can't get it to work by just reinstalling it, try what I did, and hopefully it will work for you too.