Issues with bidirectional clipboad

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Calvy667

Issues with bidirectional clipboad

Post by Calvy667 »

Hello, I'm using the most current non-beta version of oracle VM virtualbox to do some programming experimentation. My host machine is windows 7, my guest machine is CentOs7:

The bidirectional clipboard and the Drag 'n Drop (which I am dead sure I enabled through settings), does not work. I tried copying and pasting both text and files between my host and vm and it doesn't give me the paste option after I've copied.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Issues with bidirectional clipboad

Post by socratis »

Calvy667 wrote:I'm using the most current non-beta version of oracle VM virtualbox
And yet you posted in the "VirtualBox Beta / Release Candidate Feedback" subforum. Moving your post to "Windows Hosts".
Calvy667 wrote:the Drag 'n Drop (which I am dead sure I enabled through settings)
Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

Calvy667 wrote:I tried copying and pasting both text and files
Simple text is the only copy/paste that works. Files don't.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
alexandis

Post by alexandis »

I turn on bidirection, Windows 8.1 Pro as host and Windows Server 2016 as virtual. Clipboard and drag-n-drop does not work in either direction. I mean FILES. Is it normal? Only text is supposed to be copied? Why?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Clipboard is text only. Drag-n-drop is for files. Both require Guest Additions in the guest. Drag-n-drop is experimental yet. Guest Additions Shared Folders always works for file copy, and real network shared folders always work for anything a shared folder usually does on real PCs.