How to move all of VM created to another disk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OhioNewbie

How to move all of VM created to another disk

Post by OhioNewbie »

Hello everybody.

I have been creating VMs on a laptop I purchased 2 years ago that is pretty robust. Anyway I created a VM for OEL 7.3 on drive/partition 'L' and planned on using it as a baseline for other team members I work with, so that we can go forward and do things with it.

But I thought about it last night and concluded that they may not have a drive/partition 'L'. So I started looking at ways to move the VM from one drive to another. I found a method where you can remove the disc under settings and move it to another drive, then add it as an existing disc from that drive. But that does not solve the problem of VMs being located on 'L' (File > Preferences > VM location folder:).

So is there anyway you can move the whole VM (complete folder) to another disc and start it up?

Pointers to directions would be great.

Thank you in advance.
OhioNewbie

Re: How to move all of VM created to another disk

Post by OhioNewbie »

Solved it ... export appliance / import appliance. Exported from 'D' and saved .ova on 'E'. Changed name before exporting calling the VM something else. Then imported .ova from 'E' and started. I have the same Linux running in 2 different locations with different Guest names.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to move all of VM created to another disk

Post by mpack »

OhioNewbie wrote:Solved it ... export appliance / import appliance.
That is not the solution.

Howto: Move a VM.