Guest OS constantly aborts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sheepy

Guest OS constantly aborts

Post by sheepy »

Hi Im having some strange issues with VirtualBox about 3-4 weeks ago one of my hosts which has run flawless for around 12months has started to abort in the mornings. This Guest OS is being used as a print server and my suspicions is that one of the machines in the building are connecting with corrupt print drivers and shutting crashing that OS out.. But recently another machine has started to abort for no reason also...

The Host machine specs are :

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (with all power down options turned off)
Intel Core i7-4790S 3.20GHz
16GB Ram
With 616GB of free disc space

The Guest system is:

Windows Server 2003 (32bit)
2GB of Ram
7.02GB of free disc space

Ive not found anything being an issue with the Guest OS until now?

Ive attached a Virtual Box log in case someone can help with my issue?
Attachments
pcount-2017-04-25-08-37-37.zip
(11.97 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest OS constantly aborts

Post by mpack »

You need to provide a log of a session where the event occurred. The log you provide only has the VM running for 10 seconds, so I doubt that is it.

I also see that the log is of VirtualBox 5.1.18, so this can't have been running for a year: recent changes have been made and not mentioned.

I see that VT-x is disabled in the host BIOS. You might want to fix that, and then enable VT-x in the VM settings. That should make it more robust against bad guest code.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

Thanks mpack for the quick response. The VirtualBox version was updated recently to see if the issue was an update to VirtualBox was required.

I'll get VT-x enabled and ill catch the log next time the machine aborts.

I've since that log file upgraded to 5.1.20 again to see if it helped with the issues.

Thanks
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

Hi mpack the guest OS went down again. When the OS went down I took the time to reboot the host machine to enable VT-x to hopefully help with the issue... I did take the log file of the Guest OS when it went down and ive attached it to this post and hopefully it can shed some light on whats going on?

Thanks again
Attachments
pcount-2017-04-25-09-10-26.zip
(11.89 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

34 seconds this time, so again not the log of the event.

How are you grabbing the log? You understand that if you restart the VM the VBox.log describes the new session and not the one which crashed? And in any case you should never grab the log of a running VM as the log file is still open.