Cannot start ANY virtual machines...out of nowhere

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NicNicNIc

Cannot start ANY virtual machines...out of nowhere

Post by NicNicNIc »

Out of the freaking blue, NONE of my virtual machines start now.

Attempting to start any old or new vms results in the error:

Code: Select all

Failed to load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VMMR0.r0: SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed (VERR_LDR_IMAGE_HASH).
Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_IMAGE_HASH).

Result Code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: 
ConsoleWrap
Interface: 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I've tried reinstalling, running as admin, deleting and remaking the VMs, granting ALL access to EVERYONE for ALL the install files. I've been on google for a couple hours now and I guess I'm the only one in existence with this error. I'm pretty grumpy.

Specs:

Windows Server 2016 X64
24GB RAM
Latest VirtualBox version 5.1.20 r114628

Attached the VBox log. How am I supposed to upload my hardening log?? Its too big to upload and Im restricted on sharing links (nice)

I give up. This is incredibly frustrating. They were all working and now I can't start anything. I have a ton of real work in these machines and it could all be lost.

EDIT: Here are the last few lines of the hardening log

Code: Select all

75c.7a4: Terminating the normal way: rcExit=0
75c.7a4: Detected loader lock ownership: rc=VINF_SUCCESS '\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'.
75c.7a4: '\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll' has no imports
75c.7a4: supHardenedWinVerifyImageByHandle: -> 0 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll)
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedWinVerifyCacheInsert: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: pName=C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll (Input=ntdll.dll, rcNtResolve=0xc0150008) *pfFlags=0x0 pwszSearchPath=0000000000000801:<flags> [calling]
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0x0 hMod=00007fffea520000 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'
75c.7a4: Detected loader lock ownership: rc=VINF_SUCCESS '\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'.
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedWinVerifyCacheProcessWvtTodos: 0 (was 0) fWinVerifyTrust=0 for '\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll' [rescheduled]
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cache hit (VINF_SUCCESS) on \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll [redoing WinVerifyTrust]
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: WinVerifyTrust not available, rescheduling \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: pName=C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll (Input=ntdll.dll, rcNtResolve=0xc0150008) *pfFlags=0x0 pwszSearchPath=0000000000000801:<flags> [calling]
75c.7a4: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0x0 hMod=00007fffea520000 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'
6d0.758: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[2]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 4185 ms, the end);
4f4.c04: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 4586 ms, the end);
Attachments
vboxlog.log
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by NicNicNIc on 24. Apr 2017, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot start ANY virtual machines...out of nowhere

Post by mpack »

Make sure Hyper-v has not been enabled by Windows 10 update. If you have to disable it then make sure to reboot your host after.
NicNicNIc

Post by NicNicNIc »

Hyper-V is still disabled
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Has it ever been enabled?

Are you running any AV other than Windows Defender?
NicNicNIc

Post by NicNicNIc »

A few months back it was enabled. It was turned off and since then I haven't had issues until now
Nothing other than windows defender, either
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

NicNicNIc wrote:Out of the freaking blue, NONE of my virtual machines start now.
There is no such thing as "freaking blue". "Electric blue", yes, freaking no. But seriously, things don't just happen out of the blue. Something happend. Software is not chaotic (most of the times).
NicNicNIc wrote:granting ALL access to EVERYONE for ALL
That's one certain way for your installation to fail. In fact, there is a "world-writable" error (I believe it's for Mac/Linux-hosts, but I could be wrong), which makes sure that the permissions are set properly on key files so that they are not tampered with. Giving everyone and their mother write access, is a certain way for these checks and balances to kick in and throw an error. Which one, depends on the extent of the damage.

Besides the advice from other knowledgeable people, two things; completely uninstall your 3rd party antivirus and install VirtualBox with:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  4. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  5. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NicNicNIc

Post by NicNicNIc »

As an observer, yeah its out of the blue. Of course there is always a sane explanation. No one touched it, and it was working one minute and crashed the next while I wasn't even at the computer. By "crashed" I mean a few VMs were running, and I came back to them in some sort of "aborted/failed" state that I didnt think to document at the time.

Prior to me monkeying with file permissions, I had performed this as a troubleshooting step;

-Uninstall virtualbox
-I have no antivirus to uninstall
-Download latest installer and run as admin
-Restart as prompted
-Run virtualbox as admin
-Prompted to install some extensions, went ahead with it
-Attempt to start machines and observe error messages

For the sake of other projects I need to be working on, I am hesitant to repeat these steps for the inevitable reboot prompt.
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2017, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I will repeat the mistaken steps.
NicNicNIc wrote:-Download latest installer and run as admin
Huge difference between run as admin and right-click, Run-as-Administrator. I know it might sound the same, but I just want to make sure 100% that we're on the same page.
NicNicNIc wrote:-Run virtualbox as admin
Not good. Running as another user (even if admin) is not only a mistaken practice, it's flat out wrong as it will not see your usual user's settings and VMs. Run it as you.

The instructions above are the "extract" of years of failures. Please follow them to the "t".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NicNicNIc

Post by NicNicNIc »

Ok I'll play the Letter T game

I followed your steps as EXACTLY provided. Even including when to run as admin, downloading to public folders, etc. Since your steps do not specify to REBOOT after being asked during the installation process, I didn't reboot! This actually caused a NEW error related to some driver lock. Rebooting fixed the driver lock error and now I'm back at the originally posted error.

Sooooo.....
Huge difference between run as admin and right-click, Run-as-Administrator. I know it might sound the same, but I just want to make sure 100% that we're on the same page.
Uhhh....what? What IS the difference exactly? The only way Im aware of to run as admin is by right clicking it and selecting run as admin.

Unless you mean going to the applications properties and selecting "Run as administrator"? But since I was talking about an installer, which you can't do this on, I'm confused why you said this.
Not good. Running as another user (even if admin) is not only a mistaken practice, it's flat out wrong as it will not see your usual user's settings and VMs. Run it as you.
This is such a commonly thrown around troubleshooting step, you are the first person I've ever seen suggest not to run as admin. You have more experience than I do so I'll take your word for it, but just puzzling to me.
The instructions above are the "extract" of years of failures. Please follow them to the "t".
Your instructions would have actually put me in a worse state since you didn't mention rebooting, a required step it seems for a successful install on my setup.

So for now I'm still stuck with the same error as I originally posted
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2017, 20:27, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

NicNicNIc wrote:This actually caused a NEW error related to some driver lock.
Reboot is not necessary in a typical VirtualBox setup. If yours requires one, something is not "typical". Don't know exactly what, unless you post that error message.
NicNicNIc wrote:What IS the difference exactly?
You could search for the Windows documentation on this, but quickly, try the following: open a Command Prompt, open a Command Prompt with Run-as-Administrator. See the difference. Also, try to run "Autoruns" from Microsoft TechNet. There is a special option to be an "über-administrator" which unlocks a lot more categories.
NicNicNIc wrote:you are the first person I've ever seen suggest not to run as admin. You have more experience than I do so I'll take your word for it, but just puzzling to me.
Most well written applications do not require administrator access. They shouldn't, as administrators can alter the system. You do NOT need system-modifying powers to RUN an application. On top of that, VirtualBox is written with a user-context thinking (the way that applications should be). So, if you are another user, your settings and your VMs are not going to be visible to user#2.

Something is interfering with your system's proper installation, either by accident, or by protecting it with exaggerating jealousy:
  • Open an elevated Command Prompt (right-click, Run-as-Administrator) and execute the command:
    • sfc /scannow
  • If it comes with errors that can't be fixed, try to do the same procedure after a safe boot.
  • If that doesn't work, try to disable any 3rd party load-at-boot applications, including antivirus, debuggers, system monitors, network shapers, firewalls, etc..
  • If that doesn't work, try to uninstall them completely one at a time.
NicNicNIc

Post by NicNicNIc »

None of this worked :/

sfc /scannow ran fine with no errors
I have very few programs installed. Synergy, mouse without borders, and chrome

Ive installed virtualbox on another machine and the VMs run fine there, but it would be nice for the machine I built for this purpose to work so its not the best resolution
Last edited by socratis on 4. May 2017, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

NicNicNIc wrote:Ive installed virtualbox on another machine and the VMs run fine there
Since I have no access to either machine, I'm afraid that you're going to have to search what the differences are between the two systems.
NicNicNIc

Post by NicNicNIc »

great

Ill just use something else then, bye virtualbox

you're asking me to compare a 2 year old windows 7 install to a server 2016 install done a couple months ago
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you've screwed up your system to the point of no repair, there's nothing more that I can do. From here.
Enjoy the voyage.
NicNicNIc

Post by NicNicNIc »

socratis wrote:If you've screwed up your system to the point of no repair, there's nothing more that I can do. From here.
Enjoy the voyage.
Virtualbox can't handle a clean server 2016 install, I did nothing to this system. No other virtualization software I've tried while searching for alternatives has had any issues.

VBox self destructed and I lost an insane amount of work over a problem no one can apparently figure out, with as many details given as anyone could want and even the specific error messages and logs.