Can't start the Virtual Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
randomname11

Can't start the Virtual Machine

Post by randomname11 »

Hello everyone,

before I start off - I have searched for solutions for this topic, but was unable to find any that suited this situation. (I found a discussion with the following error, but the answer at that time was that Windows 10 is not yet supported by VirtualBox, which should have changed since.) Also - I am an absolute and thorough noob when it comes to this sort of stuff, so please don't stone me for stupid questions.
So, the actual issue: I have installed the latest version of VirtualBox and wanted to use a Virtual Machine of Linux I had last used roughly one year ago. At that time, it definitely worked for the most part; at some point, however, it stopped doing so. Now I need to use Linux again, so I wanna get this going. So I tried to start the Virtual Machine and got this error.

I don't know how I can collapse that in here, so here's the full log: (I guess this is the right one)
[Mod edit: Removed partial, text only VBoxHardening.log]

If there is any more information that I need to provide, tell me please.

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Greetings
Attachments
Fehler Bild 1.PNG
Fehler Bild 1.PNG (17.66 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2017, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed partial log.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't start the Virtual Machine

Post by socratis »

Please ZIP and attach the whole VBoxHardening.log. It is essential that we see the very last line of the log, the exit code. See: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
randomname11

Post by randomname11 »

As far as I can see, the log was complete; anyway, I attached an archive where every log to that Virtual Machine is.
Attachments
Logs.rar
(101.35 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your logs are from 5.0.10, too old for Win10, so that must have been an update(?). Your hardening log is from 5.1.20, the latest and greatest as of this writing. Please follow the procedure below:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  4. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  5. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
randomname11

Post by randomname11 »

Thank you, that worked. Now, however, I have another issue, and I am unsure whether this is due to Linux or due to Virtualbox. The issue is as follows: I can't access my account. When I try to log-in, I hear the sound of a successful log-in, and I know the password is correct since I just changed it in the recovery terminal, however, I am just sent back to the login screen. If I want to log in as a guest, that works. Do you have any idea if this is an issue with VirtualBox, or should I ask in a Linux forum?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

00:00:03.780671 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x5 fAccess=0x2 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag.sys: 
I suspect even though this is more than likely from the older build it is still present. To test, disable 3D acceleration in the guests display section and see if it will allow the guest to fully log in. If it does then you need to make sure you have the newest drivers for the hosts GPU.

If that doesn't fix your issue you need to ask the Ubuntu folks what to do.