Opening links from Hostsystem withn VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Benjamin83

Opening links from Hostsystem withn VM

Post by Benjamin83 »

Hi All,

i'm running a Ubuntu-Linux on my Win10 (Enterprise) host (I know its weird, but there is no other possibility.) using VirtualBox 5.1.18.

Now I want to open all Links (H T T P & H T T P S) with the browser inside my Linux-VM.

Is this possible with VirtualBox?

I already found some menus in Windows where i can select the default app for URLs. But i can only chose programms that are istalled in the hostsystem or install aditional apps (from Microsoft-Store):

I found some instructions how to do this with VMware-Workstation, but only one Discussion about VirtualBox (superuser com questions 473140 is-it-possible-to-setup-host-machine-browser-as-default-guest-system-browser) and this seems to be the opposite about what I want to do.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Opening links from Hostsystem withn VM

Post by scottgus1 »

There isn't a built-in way in Virtualbox to do this automatically.

You could do this if you can set up your own program to receive the website link text then feed it into the guest via some text-passing system, and another program running in the guest to wait for the text passing to come in and launch the web link in the guest browser. Virtualbox provides the text-passing system: see "Vboxmanage GuestProperty get/set" in the manual, section 8. You have to provide the program to receive the web link then pass it with the above Vboxmanage command, and you need the polling program in the guest to read the passed text and start the guest browser (You need Guest Additions in the guest to use the text passing feature, and the program in the Guest is called VboxControl, not Vboxmanage)
Benjamin83

Post by Benjamin83 »

Hi scottgus1,
sounds not so good. Unfortunately, I can not write a program.
If there is no "out of the box" possibility, I must live with it or use again VMware :-(
Thanks for your reply
Benjamin
ds105

Post by ds105 »

If you are still looking I have written a small program in autohotkey to do this, it is set up for my system but i could make some adjustments and upload if you want?
Benjamin83

Post by Benjamin83 »

Hello ds105,
meanwhile I gave up and bought a VMWare WS pro license :-(
but thanks for the offer! ,
Best Wishes