IP Configuration Conflict Worries

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jtvteach
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 64bit

IP Configuration Conflict Worries

Post by jtvteach »

Dear VirtualBox Windows Community

I am a bit confused with, the IP Address settings of the Win12 R2 Server I have not long installed.
I already have Win8 Server installed, but have added the mentioned Win12 in which I am led to believe that I should not be using the same IP Addresses, in case of conflict between them and also the client PCs already attached to the Win8.

Just in the last week, I have been able to connect a client PC online through our VB.
I have just reset the Win12 network settings in "adapter 1 to NAT"; and "adapter 2 to Host only" and in doing that the NIC on the server has become disabled.

Am I better off just setting the Win12 to NAT or Host Only and just in adapter 1?

It has become more confusing, because of having a client connect to the internet in my VB application.
"An Idea" Maybe; use the Client PC IP Address, as it may be assigned another IP address and let the server claim it instead!
Yours Sincerely
J T Valerie
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: IP Configuration Conflict Worries

Post by socratis »

jtvteach wrote:It has become more confusing
It is confusing as it is. I read the message twice and I still haven't figured out your setup.

- Is Win12r2 and Win8 a host or a guest?
- When you talk about a client PC, please be specific.
- Describe 1) your physical setup, 2) what you want to do, and 3) your virtual setup. In that order please...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: IP Configuration Conflict Worries

Post by BillG »

Indeed. How are we to say anything useful about an IP conflict when we have no idea about what IP networking scheme you are using? To say nothing of the names of the servers. If you are referring to the Windows Server versions, please use their correct names. Do you mean Windows Server 2012 R2? And what is Win8 server? Windows Server 2008?

Please tell us how the virtual machines are networked. What network do they connect to? What IP subnet are they using? Is there a DHCP server involved? Where are the client PCs you mention? Why does one server have two network connections? What are you trying to do here? And please assure me this is not a Windows domain setup.
Bill