Import Appliance Error - VERR_TAR_BAD_CHKSUM_FIELD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Anand Rao

Import Appliance Error - VERR_TAR_BAD_CHKSUM_FIELD

Post by Anand Rao »

Hi,

I am using VBox 5.1.18 on Windows 10 and trying to import an appliance which was exported from Oracle Linux 7.1. I copied the OVA file using a USB drive formatted on Linux with NTFS format. I do have ntfs-3g package installed on Linux.

When i import it into Vbox in Windows 10, it gives me the VERR_TAR_BAD_CHKSUM_FIELD error. I know I can check the MD5 but that won't help solve the issue.

I don't want to use a Network transfer / FTP simply because it is 12GB in size and i don't have a fast network.

Can you please let me know how to solve this issue? Can someone help me find the best method to export / import from Linux host to a Windows host?

Thanks,
Anand
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Import Appliance Error - VERR_TAR_BAD_CHKSUM_FIELD

Post by socratis »

Anand Rao wrote:I know I can check the MD5 but that won't help solve the issue.
Of course checking a checksum will not correct a corrupt download, it can only verify that it is actually corrupt.
Anand Rao wrote:Can you please let me know how to solve this issue?
There's only one way; make sure that there is no corruption between the source and the destination. It's not like you have too many options...
Anand Rao wrote:Can someone help me find the best method to export / import from Linux host to a Windows host?
Either "Clone" the VM, or simply directly copy the VM and make sure that not both of them are running in the same time in the same network. For the latter, see "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Copying a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Anand Rao

Re: Import Appliance Error - VERR_TAR_BAD_CHKSUM_FIELD

Post by Anand Rao »

Thank you Socratis. Will try that and let you know.