Law & Order: Justise is Served

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VolsFan

Law & Order: Justise is Served

Post by VolsFan »

I was getting an error message during the install, but i copied the first disc to a shared folder and the install worked. Now, after the theme song and opening credits, the screen goes black. sound is still heard, but black screen; not even a mouse cursor. I have to terminate Virtualbox using Task Manager. Again, the video works perfectly during the opening credits. It is when it goes to the menu that the screen goes black.

I have tried mounting the iso as a virtual drive and also mounted my real cd-drive in virtualbox and using the original discs with the same result. I have Guest Additions installed, but not the extension pack. I didn't think it was needed, since I don't need usb 2.0/3.0.

I am using WinXP SP 3.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Law & Order: Justise is Served

Post by socratis »

• Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VolsFan

Post by VolsFan »

I forgot that I uninstalled the game. When I tried to reinstall, i got an error message that loninstall.dll is not a valid windows image and to check installation diskette, I copied the files from the disc to a shared folder, which is how I got the game installed before. I then mounted the iso inside XP using CloneCD. I have all my iso's in a separate .vdi file mounted in Virtualbox. I also mounted the host cd-drive and install the game from the actual disc. I have only one user in XP, so it is admin. I am out of ideas, so I guess I give up. All of these attempts resulted in the same dll error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

A couple of other things to try:
  1. Try the installation from a local folder, not a shared one.
  2. Make an ISO in your host, then mount that in your guest from the VM's Storage settings in VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VolsFan

Post by VolsFan »

I tried to copy the files from the ISO to a local folder in XP and got an error message. "Can't copy lawandorder: Can't read from source file or disk". Some of the files do copy, but not enough to do the install. I have tried copy the files from the ISO to a folder in the host. Virtualbox was not running. It copied successfully. So, the copy error appears to be related to Virtualbox.

I also mount the ISO to Virtualbox using Storage setting. Got the same dll error. I also made a new storage hard drive (.vhd) and tried copy the Files from the ISO to the drive, but got the copy error again.

Weird...I know that I was able to install this game once before, the only thing I can recall different from this setup; previous setup had a .vhd drive for XP and it was fixed. This setup uses a .vdi and it is dynamic. I do not remember if ISO drive was fixed or dynamic, but it was .vdi.
Last edited by socratis on 25. Apr 2017, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VolsFan wrote:So, the copy error appears to be related to Virtualbox.
No.
VolsFan wrote:previous setup had a .vhd drive for XP and it was fixed.
Not related I'm afraid.
VolsFan wrote:I do not remember if ISO drive was fixed or dynamic, but it was .vdi.
An ISO has to be in an ISO format, independent of the extension.
VolsFan

Post by VolsFan »

I meant that I created a separate .vdi drive and I put all my ISOs in that drive. I then mount the ISO to a virtual cd-drive in XP. This method works on all my ISOs, except Law and Order. I also tried mounting the ISO in the host...No luck.
Last edited by socratis on 25. Apr 2017, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
VolsFan

Post by VolsFan »

You can mark this SOLVED. I can relieve the old days again. I figured it out. There were 2 separate problems. !) The game would not install from the discs for some reason I don't know. I could not find anything on the net about it. It might be related to VM. I copied all the files from the disc to a shared folder. The key here is that folder needs read/write access or it will fail. 2) The blank screen was caused by Quicktime not being installed, which is not included on the disc. I had to go find the latest version that would run on XP. Now, the game is installed and running. I have not tried playing all the way through yet, but this is the furthest I have gotten.

I do have couple other games that had video problems; so I decided to give VMware a try. I did not expect it to make a difference, but to my surprised, it did. I even tried setting the same game options in Virtualbox that I did for VMware to see if it makes a difference. The game still had problems under Virtualbox. I am assuming the game does not like Virtualbox graphic adapter. I am switching to VMware. I did try to install L&O using the discs and iso under VMware and it failed also. I had to copy files to shared folder and install from there, like I did in Virtualbox. The game appears to have problem with VM. I am going to make an image of my system (host) soon and I may try to install in the host and see if I still get the error. Thanks for all you help. VMware seems more compatible with my system and games.