[Solved] Problem with Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VolsFan

[Solved] Problem with Virtualbox

Post by VolsFan »

Several days ago, I decided to install VirtualBox to run Windows XP Home 32 bit. Everything was running fine, Yesterday, like an idiot, I decided to try Hyper-V. I did not like it. Fortunately, I made in image of my system before I installed Hyper-V. I restored the image, but Virtualbox crashed my system (BSOD) whenever I tried to start WinXP. I uninstalled Virtulbox and reinstalled.

I finally traced it to Intel VT in the BIOS. I disabled it and VirtualBox runs fine now. If I reenable it, Virtualbox crashes again. I am sure that it was enabled before since it is the default and I have never changed the setting before. Why is Virtualbox crashing with it enabled when it did not before. Like I said, I restored an image I made before installing Hyper-V. What can I do to get Virtualbox running with Intel VT enabled again?

Host System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Guest System: Windows XP Home SP 3 32 bit.

I am running Virtualbox Version 5.1.18 r114002 (Qt5.6.2). I have already tried version 5.1.20 with no change. Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problem with Virtualbox

Post by mpack »

Go back into the BIOS and re-enable VT-x, since VirtualBox will need it. Then disable Hyper-v.

To check the status of Hyper-v in Windows 10, <right click start> | Run | OptionalFeatures.exe, and look for the "Hyper-V" option. The box should be empty, not checked or shaded. Make sure to fully power down and reboot the host after changing this setting or the BIOS VT-x setting.
VolsFan

Post by VolsFan »

I did all of that before I posted the message. I even restored a previous image of my C: partition. Nothing worked. I found a post titled, "vt-x is not available after update to Windows 10 Creators Update (1703)" by matej_art. The message said to reinstall Hyper-V, reboot, uninstall it and reboot again. That fixed it. Weird...maybe Hyper-V does something to another partition when it gets installed and when you uninstall it, it reverts back to the way it was.

I have started installing some games in WinXP Guest OS. One game I am having trouble is Law & Order: Justice Is Served. I was getting an error message during the install, but copied the first disc to a shared folder and the install worked. Now, after the theme song and opening credits, the screen goes black. sound is still heard, but black screen; not even a mouse cursor. I have to terminate Virtualbox using Task Manager. Again, the video works perfectly during the opening credits. It is when it goes to the menu that the screen goes black.

I have tried mounting the iso and used the original discs with the same result. I have Guest Additions installed, but not the extension pack. I didn't think it was needed, since I don't need usb 2.0/3.0.
Last edited by socratis on 23. Apr 2017, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

One issue per topic please. If the original boot issue is fixed then I'll mark the topic as solved.