Disks Dynamically allocated correctly. AFter backing up and restoring NOT CORRECT

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AnonymousDuck

Disks Dynamically allocated correctly. AFter backing up and restoring NOT CORRECT

Post by AnonymousDuck »

hello,

So say you have "x" amount of virtual machines. AFter you back them up into single .ova file. Once you restore them into new environment it seems like the machines are no longer dynamically allocated (even though in machine setting it says it is dynamically allocated).

To calrify further all virtual machines are allocated to host slave 1TB HDD. When running VMS prior to bacup around 350GB was free on slave drive. After backup all VM's (by holding shift key selecting all of them) and then re-loading vm's into new environment. The 1TB slave drive is only showing about 14gb free (obviously because all disks on VM's are not allocated the same as they were the first time).

How do we reset all vm's correctly so that they are allocated in orgional fashion so i actually have some space on my slave drive. thanks for info.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Disks Dynamically allocated correctly. AFter backing up and restoring NOT CORRECT

Post by mpack »

1. An OVA is not a backup, after import it becomes a new VM with a different configuration.

2. If VirtualBox says the disk is dynamic, the disk is dynamic. It could hardly be confused about such matters and still run.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Disks Dynamically allocated correctly. AFter backing up and restoring NOT CORRECT

Post by socratis »

AnonymousDuck wrote:AFter you back them up into single .ova file
That's not backup. That's exporting. Something similar to exporting a spreadsheet to a CSV, importing it back to a spreadsheet application and expect all the graphs to be present.
AnonymousDuck wrote:all virtual machines are allocated to host slave 1TB HDD
WHY???
AnonymousDuck wrote:obviously because all disks on VM's are not allocated the same as they were the first time
1) Not obvious, 2) check what else is on that HD.
AnonymousDuck wrote:How do we reset all vm's correctly
Delete the OVA(s) and the imported VMs. Copy the VMs according to Moving a VM, but "translate" it to "Backing up a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AnonymousDuck

Post by AnonymousDuck »

will read thread and get back. Thanks for the help :)
Last edited by socratis on 23. Apr 2017, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.