[Solved] Virtual Box 5 error. Need Help

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tester123

[Solved] Virtual Box 5 error. Need Help

Post by tester123 »

Hi Everyone,

I am in a lost and need help.

I am very new to virtual box. I just downloaded Docker ToolBox which included Virtual Box 5.1.18. Then I start the Boot2Docker default Linux VM, I am getting the Error "Instruction at 0x054512a0 referenced memory at 0x054612a0. the memory could not be written". then the VM just terminated. Then i downloaded a Linux VM image Mint, and it also facing the same issue. the VM started and show the Linux Mint VM startup Manual selection, then after a few seconds, it just shutdown with that error popup. Both Boot2Docker Default VM and Linux Mint seems suffers the same issue.

Intel VT-X is enabled. I confirm both in Bios and Intel CPU identification software. Host OS Windows 7 64 bit Pro

attached the logs

Thanks
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(29.24 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
VBox.log
(65.66 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box 5 error. Need Help

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid we do not support VirtualBox forks here: we only support the software installed by the official installer and used in the official way. You should speak to the Docker people about Docker problems.
tester123

Post by tester123 »

Hi,

I don't think this is a virtualbox folk issue. I am experiencing the same on virtualbox 5.1.20 downloaded from virtualbox.org. Docker came with Virtualbox 5.1.18 and I have uninstall then install 5.1.20 Virtualbox. I even imported a LInux Mint VM image. and both 5.1.18 came with Docker or 5.1.20 download from virtualbox.org cannot successfully start up both boot2docker or the linux Mint VM. This is why I believed it is my setup's issue instead of Docker's issue.

Here are the Linux Mint logs when start up from virtualbox 5.1.20 downloaded from Official site.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(29.37 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
VBox.log
(73.28 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
tester123

Post by tester123 »

Hi,

I also now tried to download the Damn Small Linux 4.4.10 from https://virtualboxes.org/images/damn-small/ and I am still having the same issue on 5.1.20 official VB app.

Here are the logs

VBoxHardening.zip

VBox.log
Last edited by mpack on 25. Apr 2017, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete unwanted logs
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

There is no need to keep providing logs for every VM. You have a problem with the host, it has nothing to do with the choice of guest OS.

In fact the hardening log shows that you're getting the standard memory access error, no doubt due to third party software something trying to inject an unsigned DLL into the VirtualBox process. Please read FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.
tester123

Post by tester123 »

Thanks a lot. it turns out the "Actual Window manager" software which manage my multiple displays is the problem. disable it then everything seems fine now.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.