[Solved] No usb devices connected after Win 10 pro CU update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
samtweet
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu

[Solved] No usb devices connected after Win 10 pro CU update

Post by samtweet »

Since my host Windows 10 pro 64 bit CU update, USB devices are not connecting on any of the Windows or Linux guests, prior to the Host CU update the USB worked correctly in the guests.
I have upgraded to VBox 5.1.20 plus extension pack and guest additions, this did not solve the USB loading problem.
Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like a Windows Host problem that is preventing Vbox from loading USB devices.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Last edited by socratis on 1. Oct 2019, 03:19, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No usb devices connected after Win 10 pro CU update

Post by socratis »

First make sure that you've got the installation right, Win10 can be a little picky:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  4. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  5. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
If not, check out the following: USB basics and troubleshooting.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
samtweet
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu

Re: No usb devices connected problem solved

Post by samtweet »

Thank you socratis, your solution worked perfectly.
imfm

Post by imfm »

Hi from the future! It's 2019 and this is still the solution that worked for me after many hours of fiddling with other solutions. I ran everything as administrator and rebooted after uninstalling and reinstalling just to be safe.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad it still works today... ;)

Wonder how come I never marked the thread as [Solved], doing it now.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
f1alan

Re: [Solved] No usb devices connected after Win 10 pro CU update

Post by f1alan »

I couldn't find any recent posts but just to confirm that the same solution works in 2024 with Windows 11 and VirtualBox 7.