Stuck Pointer In VM among other issues....

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Rayj2016

Stuck Pointer In VM among other issues....

Post by Rayj2016 »

So I have a Windows 7 Host and multiple VM's. Let's pick my Win 10 VM.
Once I start up the VM, the pointer is always inside the VM. I cannot get it back out to the Host. The only thing I can do is reboot the Host.
I have tried the multiple HOST+ commands but none of them do a thing. The little USB icon at the bottom of the VM does show activity when
I press HOME+anything.

Also, after about two minutes of being stuck inside the VM, the entire system goes into the screen save mode and I cannot get out of it. Reboot is needed.

So, I unistalled Vbox. Even removed the files in Windows/System32 as well as the registry. So on reload, how the heck does Vbox know where my VM's are stored?
I must have missed a file somewhere? But that's not the worst of it. When I tried to start a VM (win 10), an error about USB 2.0 is popping up.

Yes, I installed the latest version of Vbox and the extensions.

Very frustrating to say the least.

Ideas?

Ray
Rayj2016

Re: Stuck Pointer In VM among other issues....

Post by Rayj2016 »

I also noticed in the settings for USB, I cannot enable USB 2.0 for some reason? It is saying Invalid settings detected. Same for USB 3.0.

Ray
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For starters the message says more than that, doesn't it? It says that you have to install the Extension Pack (matching the main VirtualBox program version).

As for the pointer, it sounds like in your guest you haven't installed the Guest Additions. See the User Manual, Ch. 4 for details.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Since I lose all control of the pointer, I can't do a thing!

Now for a Win 7 VM I'm having issues with: When I try to start it up, it continually loops on "Windows Is Loading Files"...Hitting F2 key during boot gets me the Boot Manager. Selecting WIndows 7 goes back to the "Windows Is Loading Files" loop. I would trash the VM but it has some info I would like to recover. Is there a way to run a recovery/repair on this VM?

BTW, I have created another Win 7 VM and it is working fine so that tells me Vbox is ok.

Ray
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Attach the faulty *.vdi to the good one as a second drive and you should be able to recover your data.
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Window 7 VM fixed. Ran the install/repair. Duh. I will dump the Win 10 VM as I reinstalled a new VM.

Thanks,

Ray