system_service_exception blue screen when starting a machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: system_service_exception blue screen when starting a machine

Post by socratis »

OK, let's start again from the beginning and see where the gaps are:
jqwe wrote:My virtualbox used to work perfect until a month ago
And then? What happened? Something must have happened. Host upgrade? VirtualBox upgrade? Other software installed? Something else?
jqwe wrote:When i start my machie
What machine is that? Or it doesn't matter? It happens independent of the kind of VM that you're trying to start?
jqwe wrote:I am getting system_service_exception blue screen
That would be a Bug Check 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. Is that correct? On the host or on the guest? If on the guest, the logs are fine. If on the host 1) why are you blaming VirtualBox and 2) you'll need to check with NirSoft's BlueScreenView to get more detailed information and make sure about #1 and further move on with the investigation.
jqwe wrote:on windows 10 64 bit
Windows 10 has a lot of versions. Are you for example on the fast track? Is this a cutting-edge machine? Check with "WinVer.exe" and report the exact version.

I also asked you to make absolutely, 100% sure that Hyper-V is not activated. Hyper-V can be reactivated if you update Win10 for example or if you install debuggers, emulators and maybe 3rd party software.

You see what I meant by details? Just an "it's crashing, here are the logs", is not sufficient most of the times. Exact and complete version information about host, guest, VirtualBox is the minimum required. So, please answer the above, fill in the gaps and we can get moving from there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mydhen

Post by mydhen »

jqwe wrote:Hi
I am getting system_service_exception blue screen when starting a machine
I see that people upload dumps and logs here with this error.
Where can i find the dumps and logs?
I also started getting this problem after my Windows 10 upgraded to the "Creators Edition". I posted on another thread. I get no errors other than "Stop Code: System Service Exception" on the blue screen. I just downloaded Virtual Box Version 5.1.22 and the problem still persists.

Henry
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mydhen wrote:I posted on another thread.
And a working solution has been given to that thread. Any particular reason you're not posting in your own thread and you choose someone else's thread?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jqwe

Post by jqwe »

Thanks for your help
The problem was solved (remove Hyper-V)
Mathematician

Post by Mathematician »

I am using Windows10 Enterprise Edition, Version 1703 (Build 15063.546), 64 Bit, with Hyper-V disabled (checked by bcdedit reporting “hypervisorlaunchtype Off”), and VirtualBox 5.1.26 r117224 (Qt5.6.2) with Extension Pack 5.1.26r117224. I tried both to install a new VM (XP as guest) or to start a VM (Lubuntu as guest) created on another computer (Win8), but obtain always after a few seconds a BSOD (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b) as described above and in other threads. The standard solution seems to disable Hyper-V, which however seems not enough in my case. Any suggestion what I could do to resolve this issue would be grately appreciated!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mathematician wrote:The standard solution seems to disable Hyper-V, which however seems not enough in my case.
Besides making 110% sure that Hyper-V is disabled in the settings, you might want to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled and do a cold boot (i.e. shut down the host for a minute or two). You also must make sure that nothing else is using Hyper-V, things like antivirus, debuggers, emulators, etc. Check out the article Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues to get some ideas...
Mathematician

Post by Mathematician »

Thanks a lot for your hints! I disabled Fast Boot and did a cold restart, but the problem still persists.

Besides bcdedit reporting “hypervisorlaunchtype Off” and all Hyper-V entries also being disabled in the Windows Features, I checked just before starting VirtualBox also that all eight Windows services starting with "Hyper-V" plus the "HV-Host service" are disabled. Is there anything else I could check concerning Hyper-V?

The VBoxHardening.log contains a few messages that might relate to errors:

* 3780.3778: Error (rc=0):
3780.3778: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: relative name not permitted: .\Wacom_Tablet.dll
3780.3778: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0xc0000033

and similar for Pen_Tabletdll and ISD_Tablet.dll.

* 3780.3778: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: error opening 'C:\windows\System32\secruntime.dll': 0 (NtPath=\??\C:\windows\System32\secruntime.dll; Input=secruntime.dll; rcNtGetDll=0xc0000135
3780.3778: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0xc0000034 'C:\windows\System32\secruntime.dll'

(four times).

Could this be related to the BSOD?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I couldn't possibly tell without a ZIPPED version of the VBoxHardening.log. Please ZIP one and attach it to your response.
Mathematician

Post by Mathematician »

socratis wrote:I couldn't possibly tell without a ZIPPED version of the VBoxHardening.log. Please ZIP one and attach it to your response.
Thanks a lot for this offer. Please find the zipped log enclosed.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
Zipped version of the VBoxHardening.log
(21.05 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mathematician wrote: 3780.3778: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0xc0000034 'C:\windows\System32\secruntime.dll'
socratis wrote:Check out the article Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues to get some ideas...
Does the solution in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83479 work for you?
Mathematician

Post by Mathematician »

socratis wrote: Does the solution in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83479 work for you?
This did not work in the first place, but works now as long as I have not been connected to the intranet after disabling Device Guard and Credential Guard - probably a group policy starting them again otherwise. Thanks a lot for your help!!!