Virtual Box blue screens on Windows 10 Creators Version

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mydhen

Virtual Box blue screens on Windows 10 Creators Version

Post by mydhen »

Last week I update my Windows 10 to the newly released Creators Version. Since then, every time I try to start either of my two Windows XP VMs, the Windows 10 host blue screens with an unidentified system exception error. I reinstalled Virtual Box, and am using Version 5.1.18 r114002

I am not expecting a solution from Oracle, but rather reporting what will become an issue as more and more people are unlucky enough to upgrade their Windows 10 to the Creators Version.

Thanks.

Henry
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box blue screens on Windows 10 Creators Version

Post by socratis »

Can you pinpoint the error code? Reports? Logs? Specific messages?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Lots of users are already running Windows 10 version 1703 as a VirtualBox host and no doubt many of them have XP guests (including me). If it was a widespread problem we would have heard by now. I have certainly not seen this problem. Starting a vm causing a host OS crash is not a common problem in any case. As socratis said, it would be nice to see some more info on this.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just remembered one thing that might be causing this: can you check if Hyper-V was (re)enabled after the upgrade? If so, please disable/uninstall/remove/purge/delete/nuke it. It's becoming a "theme" lately with Win10.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SimChucky

Post by SimChucky »

Just wanted to say thank you, ran into this problem today and fixed it by disabling Hyper-V.
Minduca

Post by Minduca »

Thank you I had the same problem and just removed the hyper feature too.
mydhen

Windows 10 64bit Upgrade to Creators Edition kills VB

Post by mydhen »

Just some information - in the past few weeks Microsoft has started rolling out an automatic update to Windows 10 - the "Creators Edition". As a result when attempting to start a VM from within Virtual Box, the system crashes and needs to be restarted. This happens even on Virtual Box Version 5.1.22 - My recommendation: To counter what seems like an attempt by Microsoft to squeeze Virtual Box out of the market, the Oracle developers need to create a version that works on this latest Windows 10 Pro edition.

Henry
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Henry,
You opened this original thread that had some solutions. You never replied. Instead you replied in another thread, simply reporting the problem. Then you opened a new thread, which I merged with your original one.

Please do not keep posting the same message again, and again, and again. Your next repeat will be deleted without warning. You're not making a case by repeating like a broken record the same message.
mydhen

Post by mydhen »

socratis wrote:I just remembered one thing that might be causing this: can you check if Hyper-V was (re)enabled after the upgrade? If so, please disable/uninstall/remove/purge/delete/nuke it. It's becoming a "theme" lately with Win10.
Sorry to upset you in my other thread, socratis. I do not want to disable Hyper-V as I am using both, something which I have been doing successfully until the Creators update on Windows 10. In my job we use Hyper-V extensively and I need to know how both work.

Thank you for your kindness. I won't post again on this forum.

Henry Mydlarz
tom_croft

Post by tom_croft »

Disabling Hyper-X fixed my crash problem too...

I had same problem. Win10 crashes immediately upon invoking XP VM after upgrading to VBOX 5.1.22.
Haven't seen the Blue screen of death much before on Win10. Certainly seeing it now.
I have latest and fully patched Win10.
My XP VM has always worked perfectly with VBOX.
I read the comments about Hyper-X and it WAS enabled.
I just disabled it.
Immediately VBOX is executing my XP VM perfectly again.
So clearly interaction problem with 5.1.2. & Hyper-X.
Thanks other for taking the time to post about your experiences.
Saved my .......
lethalshadow

Post by lethalshadow »

On VirtualBox version 5.1.22 r115126, I could do a clean install of Windows 10 64bit and upgrade it to Creators Edition. However, when I try to install VirtualBox Guest Additions windows crashes on startup if I shutdown the VM. This is without Hyper-V enabled. When I boot into safe-mode and remove Guest Additions it boots up fine.

I don't think the Guest Additions is working on Creators Edition.

Host: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1607
Guest: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1703
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I believe it's been reported before as being a problem with the VirtualBox video drivers. Sorry, I can't seem to be able to find the appropriate thread at the moment. Try one of the test builds from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds with its matching ExtPack, and see if there's any progress otherwise you'll have to wait until it gets fixed. Win10 is a moving target and developers are trying hard to catch up with the constant updates.