VirtualBox does not detect "unknown" USB device

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Komposten

VirtualBox does not detect "unknown" USB device

Post by Komposten »

Hey,

I have an old USB device (an OceanOptics USB2000 spectrometer) for which there are no working drivers for Windows 10. I installed VirtualBox (v5.1.18) with a Win XP guest since I have drivers for Win XP. However, when I connect the device to my PC it is detected by the host (as Unknown Device since there are no drivers) but not by VirtualBox. In VirtualBox's list of USB devices I can see all connected devices (USB mouse, web cam, etc.) except my spectrometer. I've tried plugging the device in before starting VBox, before starting the guest, and after starting the guest.

I know that other people have had no problems getting the device to work through VBox (with XP guest), although they have been using OSX hosts.

What could be the reason for my not seeing the device in the list?

------------
Host: WIn 10 64-bit (4gb ram)
Guest: Win XP 32-bit (256mb ram, Guest Additions + Extension pack, USB 2.0 enabled)
Log and hardening log in attached .zip
Attachments
VBox logs.zip
VBox log files
(43.5 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox does not detect "unknown" USB device

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: USB basics and troubleshooting.

If you reach part 7 (I hope not), post the requested information.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Komposten

Post by Komposten »

I took a look at that FAQ page and tried a few of the steps (plus another thing or two), but still couldn't get it to work.

However, I got my hands on a newer device that works without a problem even without VBox, so I am no longer in need of help. :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Komposten wrote:I got my hands on a newer device that works without a problem even without VBox, so I am no longer in need of help.
But it would be helpful for the FAQ if you would let us know what the differences are, so next time a user like you comes along, the answer will already be in the FAQ. That's the whole idea of a FAQ...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.