Problem with Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mavross

Re: Problem with Virtualbox

Post by Mavross »

I did everything on your list except completely uninstall the antivirus programs. I was wondering if there was another solution before that. My sister has a laptop which is the same brand/operating system as mine. Could I copy/paste her uxtheme.dll file into my system32? I really don't want to uninstall my antivirus, for security reasons.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

• Your antivirus does not use a custom theme. But it's not that useful at the same time, since Windows has a built-in antivirus.
  • "sfc /scannow" from a Run-As-Administrator command prompt has not failed so far. What's the output when you run that command?
  • Even more extreme is to boot in safe mode and use the Run-As-Administrator command prompt and run "sfc /scannow". Even that failed?!?
  • If you're telling me that all of these fail, something is really rooted in your system.
  • Are you sure you have no 3rd party applications from custom themes, to downloaders, to ... anything "crazy"/non-standard?
  • Copying/pasting. I'm not sure it's going to work because that DLL will be in use by the system. Plus, doing that will not update the Windows certificates database. Make a backup first.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mavross

Post by Mavross »

Rainmeter was crazy/non-standard, so maybe it changed the dll file. I ran cmd in pretty much every way possible (on my account, on safe mode in my account, on my dad's admin account, on my dad's admin safe mode account), but nothing has worked (I'm also admin on my computer, if it would make a difference). I ran virtualbox normally and in headless mode on my dad's account, and I got the same errors as I did on mine. sfc /scannow has failed me, so I guess the only thing left to do is copy/paste my sister's uxtheme.dll file onto my computer? I don't remember ever doing something that could've damaged the file that bad. No malware was detected on my computer (according to McAfee, Malwarebytes, and Bytefence), so I don't know what's happened. If copy/pasting doesn't work, should I just try to reinstall windows?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. I didn't say being an admin, I said to right-click on the Command Prompt application and select "Run-as-Administrator". In safe mode. Huge difference. And I didn't see the output, what was it?
  2. Your account is the same as any other account, since this is a system DLL we're talking about.
  3. Uninstall all non-essential software including antivirus (you really have 3 running?), and try again. Otherwise, it's up to you to decide what your next step would be.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mavross

Post by Mavross »

Either way, CMD didn't work, but here's the log or it - http://www.filedropper.com/cbs
(sorry, it had to be to an online file download thing, it's too big for the forums). Copy/pasting didn't work, so I'm kind of at a loss. As for the antivirus thing, I only have two running. Malwarebytes and McAfee, Bytefence was deleted. I thought about reinstalling windows, but then I saw it would delete like 20 applications, so I'm kind of against that. I compared my uxtheme.dll to my sisters, and it turns out there's a 1kb difference. Who knew that that is (probably) the cause of this. I'm looking up more alternatives online, but I just wanted to keep you posted. Thanks for your help so far.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that's not the log I asked for, I asked for the output of the command "sfc /scannow". Something like:
  • +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Administrator: Command Prompt                                                 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]                                        |
    | (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.                          |
    |                                                                               |
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow                                              |
    |                                                                               |
    | Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.                      |
    | Beginning verification phase of system scan.                                  |
    | Verification 100% complete.                                                   |
    | Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.            |
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32>                                                          |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mavross

Post by Mavross »

Here you go, I just copy/pasted from the Administrator command prompt

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mavross wrote:Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
That's quite clear I believe. Did you try that after rebooting in safe mode, after being told time and again?
Mavross wrote:Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
I will NOT go through 22 MB of a log, unless you pay me. Rename/remove the CBS.log, reboot in safe mode and try the whole thing again.
Mavross

Post by Mavross »

I don't blame you for not wanting to go through the log. Anyways, the result for the administrator command prompt is the same no matter what mode I'm in. In safe mode, I just get the same message, and another 22MB log.
Mavross

Post by Mavross »

YAY! I got a half-success. I am now able to run Virtualbox in headless mode, after I did this command in my CMD - "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth". I am going to try to run this command in safe mode, and maybe it will be able to fully fix my problems. The command took a few hours, so I'll check back in in a bit.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Mavross wrote:YAY! I got a half-success. I am now able to run Virtualbox in headless mode
From the hardening FAQ :
1 If you find that the VM will not start in normal mode, but will start when run in headless mode, then that makes it pretty much certain that your problem is the graphics drivers.
Mavross

Post by Mavross »

I know, I tried running it in headless mode at least three times. Every time I got an error, but this time I was successful. I don't know why. My graphics cards are up-to-date, so I'm not sure what their problem is. opengl32.dll is my new problem I think, because I saw some error with it in my VB log. It only works in headless mode if I don't have 3D acceleration on.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(12.71 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Apr 2017, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Mavross wrote:It only works in headless mode if I don't have 3D acceleration on.
That doesn't make sense. Headless means no display, so nothing to 3D accelerate. I assume you mean that when 3D acceleration is enabled, it will only start in headless mode.