[Solved] Right Click problem since 5.1.x even in virtualbox manager

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sasquash
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: various linux, windows XP, windows 7

[Solved] Right Click problem since 5.1.x even in virtualbox manager

Post by sasquash »

Right click on machines in virtualbox manager on host does not show any popup menu.
Right click in any linux or windows guest does not work either.

My host is Windows 10 Pro x64 (version 10.0.143)

I notice this problem with version 5.1.18 and 5.1.0
There is no problem with version 5.0.36
Last edited by sasquash on 24. Apr 2017, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Right Click problem since 5.1.x even in virtualbox manager

Post by mpack »

Missing from your report is an assertion that right clicks work anywhere else in your host.

But, just on general principles: nobody else is reporting your issue AFAIK, which makes it a problem with your PC, such as broken mouse, some software you installed that captures mouse clicks, etc.
sasquash

Post by sasquash »

Yes right clicks work anywhere else in my host, and they work too in virtualbox version 5.0.36 guests.

I don't think it's related to a broken mouse or any software that captures mouse clicks but i think it is related to a change between 5.0.x and 5.1.x in mouse handling.
Even in windows 10 host, the 5.1.x virtualbox manager does not handle properly right click.

I noticed that in linux guest with VB v5.1.18, right click event is received as keyboard events.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sasquash wrote:the 5.1.x virtualbox manager does not handle properly right click.
What does that mean? It doesn't show the menu? It shows something else? It's ignored?

I completely agree with mpack that 1) since there are thousands and thousands of users on Win10 hosts (including yours truly), and 2) you're the only one reporting such a behavior, that it must be something in your host's setup, most probably a 3rd party application.

Speaking of, do you have any 3rd party applications that use the Qt framework? It could be that one of them installed the corresponding DLLs in the system directory and are conflicting with the ones used in VirtualBox. If you don't know what Qt is, search your system for "Qt*.dll".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sasquash

Post by sasquash »

socratis wrote:
sasquash wrote:the 5.1.x virtualbox manager does not handle properly right click.
What does that mean? It doesn't show the menu? It shows something else? It's ignored?
As I said in my first post
sasquash wrote: Right click on machines in virtualbox manager on host does not show any popup menu.
I agree that the problem could deal with Qt Framework. I don't know if any 3rd party applications use the Qt framework. I launched a search for "Qt*.dll" in "c:\windows" and there is no Qt dll in "c:\windows" and subfolders.
Anyway as VirtualBox.exe is installed with a set of Qt*.dll in the same directory it should not be annoyed with Qt*.dll in another place.

I will make more investigation with the Qt Framework and let you known the results.
sasquash

Post by sasquash »

As a result of my investigations, it is not a Virtual Box 5.1.x issue but a Qt5 framework issue.

I reproduced the problem with QtCreator application that is delivered with the Qt5 framework.
I tested different Qt5 Framework and the problem seems to appear in the version 5.1.0 of the framework and still exists in the version 5.8.0.

I found a little workaround to this problem : right click works as expected if the application has not the focus before right click attempt.

So now I have to go to the Qt forum if I want to solve this problem without reinstalling my whole system.

Thanks for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

sasquash wrote:So now I have to go to the Qt forum if I want to solve this problem without reinstalling my whole system.
Thanks for the feedback, and please remember to let us know of your findings.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sasquash

Post by sasquash »

Sure I will do so.
sasquash

Post by sasquash »

I opened a discussion about the problem on the Qt forum : https://forum.qt.io/topic/78382/right-c ... pplication

My latest findings is that Qt5 libraries are not directly the cause of the problem, but that every application that register a class that is named "Qt5QWindowIcon" have this problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

sasquash wrote: My latest findings is that Qt5 libraries are not directly the cause of the problem, but that every application that register a class that is named "Qt5QWindowIcon" have this problem.
Uh... speaking as a programmer, that sounds to me like the Qt5 libraries are indeed the direct cause of the problem. An object with a name "Qt5QWindowIcon" sounds like it must be part of the library, therefore any bugs concerning its intended use are Qt5 bugs.

That doesn't mean it isn't also a VirtualBox problem, as the devs chose to use this library.
sasquash

Post by sasquash »

@mpack Uh ... yes I am a humble programmer. I agree with you it is a problem that affect virtualbox and that is why I made a post here on the virtual box forum. To me the bug is in the Windows libraries, the name "Qt5QWindowIcon" is passed to the RegisterClass function that is part of Windows system and this name is valid according to the function documentation. Even an application that do not use Qt libraries will have the problem if it use this name with this function, but moreover this name may not be the only one that will cause the problem.
sasquash

Post by sasquash »

I finally found what was causing this problem.
I have installed long time ago, an Android Emulator name Andy (version 41.1010) that use Qt5 libraries. This installation launch an executable named HandyAndy.exe at windows startup. This executable was the cause of the right click problem, it had to catch mouse event using the class name and change it in keyboard event.
The latest version of this emulator (version 46.16) do not have this problem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Right Click problem since 5.1.x even in virtualbox manager

Post by socratis »

sasquash wrote:HandyAndy.exe at windows startup ... it had to catch mouse event using the class name
Wow, so it was a catch-all filter for that specific class? Yikes...

Thank you for the feedback!