Assistance on Accessing Guest OS network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Stan102

Assistance on Accessing Guest OS network

Post by Stan102 »

Hi all,

I am trying to use a trial application and have loaded up the CentOs 7 VM and all is fine. I do not know how to set up Virtualbox so I can access the CentOs application. Here is a screenshot of the CentOs info that gives IP and other relevant info on how to connect, but this is a bit out of my depth. I am familiar with basic windows networking but I am at a loss as to what to change in VirtualBox to get access CentOs app.

Can anyone please advise? Thank you in advance.
Attachments
virtual box setup (Medium).jpg
virtual box setup (Medium).jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 833 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Assistance on Accessing Guest OS network

Post by mpack »

For basic Internet browsing the simplest solution is to enable NAT networking in the VM settings. NAT will work if the host has an Internet connection. Make sure not to disable automatic networking features (don't try to configure static IPs).
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The only problem with using NAT in this situation is you would need to know which ports to forward to the guest so you can access then from the host. I think you would be better off using bridged or host-only if the guest and host need to only communicate with each other. Plus I believe that especially during setup you would not be able to use the host browser to access the guests setup since it is "not" setup yet. You would use the guests browser.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ah, did I misunderstand the scenario? The OP was somewhat vague about exactly what kind of networking was being done, but I saw a browser window open and I thought the whole screenshot was of the VM. I take it that the VM is in fact just the "terminal" window on the left?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yup! I had to read it twice to figure it out as well. Post was really busy but in this case was exactly the correct way to post it IMHO 'cause it showed all of the elements.