switching from full screen mode to host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
drewex
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Windows 8.1

switching from full screen mode to host

Post by drewex »

Hello all, I am using a full screen mode on my windows hosted, windows guest machine. I want to be able to use my guest mode as a full screen switch over to host machine without closing the full screen mode. This would act perfectly keeping the screen separately with easy transition over.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: switching from full screen mode to host

Post by socratis »

Seeing from your post history that you're coming from a Mac, I believe that you're thinking the equivalent of using Exposé, where 1 desktop would be dedicated to your guest and you could transition to your host's other desktops.

One solution, would be to use SysInternals (now Microsoft) "Desktops" program (I would go for the whole "SysInternals Suite" actually). Here's what I did:
  • Start "Desktops". I configured mine to use Alt+Ctrl+Shift+<Number> for switching desktops, just to make sure that there's no conflict with other shortcuts.
  • Switched to Desktop2 (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+2). Launched VirtualBox and a VM. Went full-screen with HostKey+F.
  • Press the HostKey once to switch the focus from the guest to the host. Pressed Alt+Ctrl+Shift+1. I'm back to my host.
  • Pressed Alt+Ctrl+Shift+2. I'm back to my guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
drewex

Post by drewex »

Thats exactly what I needed. TYVM. And you are right I am coming from mac environment. I was going to look for a apple forum for using the mouse for it but since you helped me once ill ask it here, I got apple mouse which i started using on windows. I cannot find an app like magicprefs for windows. Do you know any? would save so much time if I could just swipe on the mouse left and right.
drewex

Post by drewex »

Hmm actually after trying systeminternals desktops I noticed its not integrated to the windows version. But I did realize the shortcut for windows actaully works but it is sent to the guest machine instead of the host machine, Is there a way to send ctrl+windows+ arrows to be forced to go to host not client.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

drewex wrote:I cannot find an app like MagicPrefs for windows. Do you know any?
No, I don't. I'm still (90%) on a Mac and I don't even have a MagicMouse to begin with. You're on Windows now, you'll have to live and learn by that OS.
drewex wrote:after trying SysInternals Desktops I noticed its not integrated to the windows version.
Yes it is. Did you read their webpage at all to see their thinking? Plus, that was just a suggestion, you could search for virtual desktop/display managers and see which one works best for you.
drewex wrote:I did realize the shortcut for windows actually works but it is sent to the guest machine instead of the host machine
I told you to press the HostKey once, before using the switching shortcut.
drewex wrote:Is there a way to send ctrl+windows+ arrows to be forced to go to host not client.
No. You have to press the HostKey first. Once.
drewex wrote:but since you helped me once ill ask it here
If it's VirtualBox related, sure. If we start veering off, it won't be a good idea. I mean I helped you, but I won't do your taxes ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
drewex

Post by drewex »

Lol, do you do taxes too???? lol. thx for the reply