[SOLVED] Enabling USB wifi Adapter crashes the Adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Blackflames648

[SOLVED] Enabling USB wifi Adapter crashes the Adapter

Post by Blackflames648 »

Hello,

I made a Kali Linux virtual machine and when I enable the USB Device of which is a USB Wifi Adapter, the wifi adapter crashes.

The device works perfectly before the VM is started or the device is enabled. However, once it has been run, it crashes and it is no longer listed in Device Manager.

USB Device: TP-Link WN722N Wifi Adapter
Host: Windows 10 x64
VB: Version 5.1.18r114002 (Qt5.6.2)
Guest: Kali Linux 4.5
Last edited by Blackflames648 on 25. Mar 2017, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Blackflames648

Re: Enabling USB wifi Adapter crashes the Adapter

Post by Blackflames648 »

SOLVED

You need to add the adapter to USB Devices, remove the adapter, start the VM (Kali) and THEN INSERT the usb adapter.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [SOLVED] Enabling USB wifi Adapter crashes the Adapter

Post by mpack »

Yes, that is the recommended procedure for all USB devices, but thanks for spreading the word.

Btw, please don't use the word "crash" unless you mean it. You didn't have a crash, you had a problem getting something to work. Do you say that your car has crashed if the door unlocker stops working in a parking lot? Just as with your car, a crash in computing is a serious incident involving a sudden full termination of your computing journey. It is not a synonym for "any computing problem no matter how trivial".
TheSilentOne

Post by TheSilentOne »

Hello, I've found none of the above fixes don't fully work, they work to bridge two connections to give you a connection, I need to directly use my USB wifi card on my virtual machine, I have found that it doesn't matter when you plug your wifi card in. You use the drop-down menu at the top of the screen and hover over the Devices-USB, and your device should be listed click the device and it will disconnect it from the main system and connect it to the virtual machine. I hope this finds a use for some people
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

No log == no way to help.

In any case it is best not a hijack a three year old solved topic. Start your own topic and provide that VM log (Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip to the first post in your new topic).