VirtualBox is no longer usable after installation of Visual Studio 2015

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SchweizerGarde
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS/2, DOS, Windows XP, Windows 10

VirtualBox is no longer usable after installation of Visual Studio 2015

Post by SchweizerGarde »

Hi folks,
after some years of flawless operation, I experience a strange fault since today :cry:.
During startup, I get the message "VERR_VMX_NO_VMX" during the boot of a virtual machine containing W10 latest Insider release. Last week, the VM was OK. THese are the details:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine W10 Test (I).
VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

BIOS settings checked. INTEL virtualization is enabled. Last update for the host windows was KB3150513. Last installation was VisualStudio 2015 Update 3. 3 processes regarding W10 Hyper-V are active: 1) HV Host Service; 2) Hyper-V Host Compute Service; 3) Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management.

Analysis: After installation of Visual Studio 2015 Hyper-V is started at boot time as a service which completely knocks down VirtualBox.

Addendum: Meanwhile I have read many posts all related to the same problem. We do have a problem after Visual Studio 2015 Community or better is installed because it starts Hyper-V and occupies VT-x.. e.g. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81829

Any idea how to handle this?

TIA.
Last edited by SchweizerGarde on 23. Mar 2017, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards
SG
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: VirtualBox does not start - VERR_VMX_NO_VMX

Post by Martin »

Disable the features that need/activate Hyper-V.
With Hyper-V active you can use only 32bit guests up to Windows 7 (no Win8/10).
SchweizerGarde
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS/2, DOS, Windows XP, Windows 10

Re: VirtualBox does not start - VERR_VMX_NO_VMX

Post by SchweizerGarde »

Hi Martin,
nice idea. But you completely underestimate the problem I have reported: "After installation of Visual Studio W10-hosted VirtualBox is no longer usable!". BTW: No guest is working. Even DOS as I have posted. This is because VirtualBox cannot instantiate its VM-Session w/o VT-x available (see my post).

The technical problem is trivial: VS 2015 introduces development tools for Android and to test with these they use a Hyper-V machine emulating ARM processors. They install Hyper-V as a "Service" which is started at boot time.

So my question was how to cope with that, because one of the main reasons to use VirtualBox is testing in a sandbox.
Last edited by socratis on 23. Mar 2017, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Best regards
SG
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox is no longer usable after installation of Visual Studio 2015

Post by socratis »

First of all, that's why cross-posting is a really bad idea. I didn't catch it at its beginning, otherwise the duplicate would have been deleted from the get-go. I do NOT want to go back and forth between threads to decipher your message.

Second, Martin already gave you the answer:
Martin wrote:Disable the features that need/activate Hyper-V.
There no way around it, unless Microsoft changes the way they do things. You could ask them. The more people ask, the better...

KB 3204980: Virtualization applications do not work together with Hyper-V, Device Guard, and Credential Guard.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.