FYI: Windows 10 Permission Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TDHCA-Eddie

FYI: Windows 10 Permission Issue

Post by TDHCA-Eddie »

I wasted a little bit of time when moving a couple of VMs to a Windows 10 host and since my first stop was here I thought I would make my last stop here as well to perhaps save someone some time. In the past I have easily moved a VM from one Windows 7 host to another, but when I moved to the Windows 10 system (and upgraded from 5.0 to the 5.1 branch) I was unable to change any settings of a powered off VM, much less start one. In the end the issue appears to be a defect in Windows 10 since the same permissions on the Windows 7 host not only match, but are proper. I had to explicitly grant the account (Domain Administrator rights) write permission to the file system, even though the account is a member of Domain Admins and the local Administrators group contains Domain Admins.

Windows 10 Version: Version 1511, build 10586.753 (Yes, I realized this is not the latest and greatest but we have not adopted Windows 10. Given how unstable the releases have been I see no need to upgrade from this Current Branch for Business until it becomes deprecated later this year. I have not attempted to reproduce the issue with Version 1607, the newest Current Branch for Business.)

VirtualBox error: "Runtime error opening XXX.vbox-tmp for overwriting:-38 (Access denied.) F:\tinderbox\win-5.1\src\Vbox\Main\src-server\MachineInpl.cpp..."

XXX = VM name

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: FYI: Windows 10 Permission Issue

Post by mpack »

This is not a Windows support site, but you might want to Google for ""Take Ownership" "Windows 10"".
TDHCA-Eddie

Post by TDHCA-Eddie »

I thought it was a forum for those of us using VirtualBox on Windows hosts. So when I found an issue impacting my usage that I thought would be helpful to others I thought I would post to help others. Sorry, I thought I was being helpful to others who may also be running VirtualBox on Windows hosts who might appreciate learning of this issue and a work-around.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You have obviously read more into my response than is there. Please read it again - I stated one fact and gave one suggestion.

Permissions issues relating to Windows folders can affect any application. There is nothing peculiar to VirtualBox about your discovery.