HPET and Sound problems with Ryzen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hawgietonight

HPET and Sound problems with Ryzen

Post by hawgietonight »

Hello, I've changed recently to an AMD Ryzen build, and on my new Win8.1 guest I noticed that the sound wasn't working correctly when playing sounds, be it system sounds or a youtube video. It buzzed, cracked and lagged a lot. Constantly. I Did try to change things like cores assigned and change driver, but nothing worked. Suddenly this morning It was working fine. hmmm..

I thought it could of been the night before, I was tweaking, OC, and trying stuff out. One of the things I tried was ENABLING the high performance event timer in BIOS settings. You see, AMD in their performance guidelines recommended at first turning it off, ass well as other tips like changing the power settings to performance. But in recent updates I haven't seen them saying anything about HPET, and searching online only recommended keeping it active, so I turned it on again to its bios-default setting.

To confirm this could be this setting, I disabled HPET again. Booted the guest and the cracking came back. Back to bios, turned it on and sound was Ok again. Well, every now and then it buzzes a bit, maybe every two minutes or so, but nowhere as bad as before. It's totally usable.

So I thought It would be a good idea to share this with you people, to help troubleshoot these issues. I've attached my logs.

Regards.
Attachments
Logs - copia.zip
(126.54 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: HPET and Sound problems with Ryzen

Post by socratis »

If this is actually reproducible, you should head to the bugtracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: HPET and Sound problems with Ryzen

Post by michaln »

The description is not entirely clear to me. Are you saying that guest audio works better when HPET is enabled on the host? I think that's what you're saying. Or is it when HPET is disabled on the host?