Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VictorNg1902

Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists

Post by VictorNg1902 »

I've been trying uninstalling/installing VirrtualBox 5.1.8 but still got the same error (regardless of the version ). I also have googled for the solution but couldn't find one that works for my scenario. Could someone give me a pointer how to resolve this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists

Post by socratis »

Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists.
Is that the error that you're getting? Is this error coming from the installation or the uninstallation process? Do you have any ideas what "connection" this might refer to?
VictorNg1902 wrote:VirtualBox 5.1.8 but still got the same error (regardless of the version)
This is a bit confusing. Are you installing/removing 5.1.8, or did you try another version as well?

VirtualBox uses the standard Windows installer. This is not the most solid piece of software out there, and from time to time it develops ... maladies. Microsoft themselves have created a couple of tools to fix the situation. Just search for "fix windows installer".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VictorNg1902

Re: Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists

Post by VictorNg1902 »

@socratis: Thank you for your response. Yes, that is the error I got during installation and also when I open Genymotion. And since this is all I got, I have no idea what "connection" might refer to.
Regarding the version, initially I downloaded and installed the latest one 5.1.18 and got the same error. I then tried older version to see if it'd make any difference, which it didn't.
I also tried the "fix windows installer" approach but it didn't work either (run "net start MSIServer" in cmd and then run installer).

The last time I tried running GenyMotion on my machine at home (at least 4-5 months ago), everything was just fine. Recently I tried running it again and it stopped working. That's why I had to uninstall/re-install both VirtualBox and GenyMotion hoping that would fix issue.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Mar 2017, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's why that error wasn't making too much sense; because most probably it didn't come from VirtualBox.

Genymotion bundles VirtualBox with their offerings. However they might do things that we are not familiar with. I would suggest to either seek help at their support or start using the standalone VirtualBox, after you've cleaned up the host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VictorNg1902

Post by VictorNg1902 »

@socratis: actually I installed VirtualBox first using a separate installer and then GenyMotion using another installer. I also tried looking into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete any keys that seem delete-able but that still didn't help.
And thanks, I already contacted the GenyMotion support team hours ago. Hopefully they could help figure out what's going on. At the moment I'm still able to use and run both GenyMotion and VirtualBox at work.

-----------

If I manually delete and add a new Host-only Networks in Virtual Box, then I got the same error and the following after hitting Ok:

Code: Select all

Failed to create the host network interface.

Assertion failed: [!aInterfaceName.isEmpty()] at 'F:\tinderbox\win-5.0\src\VBox\Main\src-server\HostNetworkInterfaceImpl.cpp' (74) in long __cdecl HostNetworkInterface::init(class com::Bstr,class com::Bstr,class com::Guid,enum __MIDL___MIDL_itf_VirtualBox_0000_0000_0036).

Please contact the product vendor!.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: HostNetworkInterfaceWrap
Interface: IHostNetworkInterface {455f8c45-44a0-a470-ba20-27890b96dba9}
.... I cant seem to figure out what "this connection" VB tries to rename during installation (I assume it tries to add a new Host-Only Network)
JonathanKeene

Post by JonathanKeene »

bump.

I'm still having this issue. I'm on Windows 7 and it happens when I install Virtual Box 5.1.26-117224. I've tried the many solutions online to no avail. I've tried deleting all connections, hidden connections re-installing etc but I get the same error every time.

Is there a way to debug the installation of Virtual Box to get to the root cause of the issue? It's clearly something on my system but I have no way to tell what is causing it.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

EDIT:
running "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" hostonlyif create
gives:-

Code: Select all

Progress state: E_INVALIDARG
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage.exe: error: Assertion failed: [!aInterfaceName.isEmpty()] at 'F:\tind
erbox\win-5.1\src\VBox\Main\src-server\HostNetworkInterfaceImpl.cpp' (74) in lon
g __cdecl HostNetworkInterface::init(class com::Bstr,class com::Bstr,class com::
Guid,enum __MIDL___MIDL_itf_VirtualBox_0000_0000_0038).
VBoxManage.exe: error: Please contact the product vendor!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component HostNetworkI
nterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleCreate(struct Han
dlerArg *)" at line 94 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
Attachments
vbox error.png
vbox error.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 2848 times