Teleporter not listening

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jeffcourteau
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: W2K12R2, Linux CentOS, FreeBSD, appliances, etc...

Teleporter not listening

Post by jeffcourteau »

Hello there,

I have 2 Windows hosts on which I am trying to teleport VMs between them. I issue the following:

vboxmanage modifyvm [targetvmname] --teleporter on --teleporterport 1236 --teleporteraddress [target_ipv4_address]

It instantly returns to the command prompt, no error displayed. When I check netstat, nothing listens on port 1236. Of course, when I issue the following command on the source host, it returns an error (wireshark shows TCP RST, which is expected since the target does not seem to be listening):

vboxmanage controlvm [sourcevmname] teleport --host [target_ipv4_address] --port 1236

I have tried IP addresses, FQDN and NetBIOS names on both sides, to no avail.

I made sure the firewall is off, I made sure I have the exact same release on both hosts, I made sure to have the exact same specs and functionalities on both sides. I don't think the problem lies there.

I have tried to find teleporter logs, but it does not seem to be well documented.

I really need help on this. Changing VirtualBox version would be extremely painful, since I would need to shut down VMs on both sides and have a 24/7 SLA with my clients.

Here is the release info:
Version 5.1.14 r112924 (Qt5.6.2)
jeffcourteau

Re: Teleporter not listening

Post by jeffcourteau »

Allright, I answered myself by searching more thoroughly.

I did not get the step that after issuing the command on the target, you had to start the target VM for it to actually start waiting for the teleport. After that, it worked on the first try.

Have a good one!

J-F Courteau
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I suspect that not many of us have much use for the teleporting feature, so I'm sorry to say that you may not get a substantive response. I just wanted to let you know however that you have not been ignored, and thanks for feeding back your results.
jeffcourteau

Post by jeffcourteau »

No problem, I also suspect that not many people use VBox as an enterprise virtualization Platform. It has proven extremely stable for my business during the past 5 years (not a single crash cause by VBox), and since I am now expanding, I wanted to make use of the more "serious" features.

It works just as good as VMware VMotion, except you have to run it from the command line. I plan to develop a web interface in PHP to manage the teleports and take an inventory of my hosts. Would really be dead simple considering everything from the GUI (and more) is available from the command line...

Have a good one!
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jeffcourteau wrote:No problem, I also suspect that not many people use VBox as an enterprise virtualization Platform.
VirtualBox does have business customers, as that's who pays the bills (with their support contracts). No doubt the feature was implemented for their benefit. However the forums are mostly (entirely?) frequented and managed by users of the free download.