XP VM suddenly slows down

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Andrew_jar

XP VM suddenly slows down

Post by Andrew_jar »

Hi
I was using two copies of 32bit Win XP as virtual machines simultaneously for few years. Untill yesterday. Yesterday I turned my machine and two VMs as everyday i do, and I realized that both of them slow down few times. I was surprised because I haven't chaged or installed anything on host and on VMs. I was using newer version of Vbox (propably 5.1.4) and downgraded it to 5.1.18 (strangely it is the latest version). I tried making new instance with old vdi and even installing fresh copy of Win XP. Adding more RAM (1GB) didn't change anything. No change after disabling/enabling VT-x, nested paging, 2D and 3D acceleration. I ran out of ideas and google isn't helpful.

Host specs:
Intel i7 3770K 3,50 Ghz
RAM 16GB
Win 7 64bit

P.S.: Sorry for my english :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: XP VM suddenly slows down

Post by socratis »

Andrew_jar wrote:I was using newer version of Vbox (propably 5.1.4) and downgraded it to 5.1.18 (strangely it is the latest version).
Nothing strange about it, at all. 18 is bigger than 4, so 5.1.18 is newer than 5.1.4.
Andrew_jar wrote:No change after disabling/enabling VT-x, nested paging, 2D and 3D acceleration. I ran out of ideas and google isn't helpful.
Please stop changing things at random, without making a note of what you changed and (more importantly) without a plan or an understanding of what these changes will affect.

Follow a "start from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

Actually do that for both VMs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andrew_jar

Re: XP VM suddenly slowed down

Post by Andrew_jar »

socratis wrote:
Andrew_jar wrote:No change after disabling/enabling VT-x, nested paging, 2D and 3D acceleration. I ran out of ideas and google isn't helpful.
Please stop changing things at random, without making a note of what you changed and (more importantly) without a plan or an understanding of what these changes will affect.
Wasn't random. I know that I need intel virtualization option in BIOS enabled and I did it, years ago. After problem occured I've tried disabling VT-x to check if VMs slows even more but no change.

I made a mistake in topic title and u might misunderstood me. 3 days ago i was using both VMs as always and shutdown it (no save, no power down) as always. Next day I started VMs with this 'slow' problem. I've never encoutered any problems since I started using Vbox few years ago.

I'm attaching logs as You asked.

Thank You
Attachments
VboxLogs.rar
(40.83 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, maybe someone else can.
I haven't seen your definition of "slow". Could you explain that?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andrew_jar

Post by Andrew_jar »

Imagine using PC with modern hardware (e.g. i7 and win7), everything working smooth. Next day you are forced to use old one (pentium 4 or worse and win7). Booting up slowed few times, browsing web slowed down, all games are unplayable, even 2D games made before 2000.