can't find my Virtual Drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: can't find my Virtual Drive

Post by socratis »

If you want to see the modified VMDK you have to shut down the VM. Completely. You cannot backup a live VM. You should NOT backup a live VM.

If you open a file in a word processor, and you keep it open, and you modify it, what's the modification date in Explorer? The last time you saved it, not the last modification you made while the document was still open, right?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

anyone have the same problem?

Simone
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

socratis wrote:If you want to see the modified VMDK you have to shut down the VM. Completely. You cannot backup a live VM. You should NOT backup a live VM.

If you open a file in a word processor, and you keep it open, and you modify it, what's the modification date in Explorer? The last time you saved it, not the last modification you made while the document was still open, right?

Usually I use Microsfot Hyper V and I can BackUp a Live VM. I thought it was also possible with Virtual Box. So I always need to shutdown the Virtual Machine.

Thank you.