can't find my Virtual Drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ilmone

can't find my Virtual Drive

Post by ilmone »

Good morning,
Where is located the virtual drive (vdmk) of my virtual machine the HOST server?
In theory my virtual disk should be located in the C: \ virtualdrives, but in that folder, on the host server, I see an old file .vdmk ..Why?
The virtual machine is running but the .vdmk file is older than 3 months ago.
Thank you in advance

Simone
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: can't find my Virtual Drive

Post by mpack »

User manual section 10.1: Technical Information - Where VirtualBox stores its files.

If I was to guess at your problem, I'd say you've been using snapshots, and have neglected to look in the Snapshots subfolder of the VM.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

I had also thought about the snashot but if I click on the snapshot button on the virtual machine appears to me no snapshot list.

Simone
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Follow a "start from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the first "VBox.log" only, ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

I attach the log.
I noticed that after turning off the virtual machine .vmdk file on the host has been updated with the correct date and time.
Is possible that when using the virtual machine host servers keep the changes of the virtual machine to a temporary file and when I shutdown the virtual machine It make a merge whit the .vmdk?

Thank you

Simone
Attachments
MASTERnew-2017-03-20-13-00-49.zip
(18.97 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ilmone wrote: keep the changes of the virtual machine to a temporary file and when I shutdown the virtual machine It make a merge whit the .vmdk?
There is no VirtualBox feature which does that. The closest is an immutable drive, which writes changes to a temporary file which is discarded the next time the VM is launched.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

Where I can find the that temporary file? In order to do a daily backup of the virtual disk, which file i have to backup (vmdk + temporary file)?

Simone
Last edited by socratis on 23. Mar 2017, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Are you using an immutable drive? Presumably not, or making daily backups would be a wasted activity. If not then no temporary file exists, as I already said.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

I can't understand where is store data of the v.machine when it's runniung. Now the virtual dirve (vmdk) of my virtual machine have da date of the last restart (3 days ago) . If I copy that file (virtual drive) into another machine and mount it as a local drive, I can't find the files of the last 3 day that I have created into the Virtual machine.

Thank you

Simone
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you want to know the location of any virtual drive file then open the File|Virtual Media Manager dialog in the GUI, and click on disk file. The complete path is shown in the lower panel.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

the path is correct . As you can see in the attahc image. I have a Virtual machine named 'MASTERnew', whit a virtual dirve named 'esatto.vmdk' located in the folder:
C:\Virtual Box\dischi\masterOKnew\esatto.vmdk.
But as you can see the file has an old date 20/03/2017 (the latest restart of the virtual machine) and if I mount It doesn't contain the latest modify occured into the virtual machine.

Simone
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It seems that you have been renaming folders.

Find the file MASTERnew.vbox, in the VM folder, zip it up and attach here. If you have been recreating VMs and borrowing disks belonging to other VMs then please tell me now.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

also the others V.machine have the same problem. As you can see in the new JPEg the V.Machine PCshneider is running but have a virtual disk with date 19/03/2017. If i reboot the Virtual Machine the file will be updated.
Simone
Attachments
MASTERnew.zip
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, I don't know what else I can tell you. The VM "MASTERnew.vbox" is directly using the VMDK file "C:/Virtual Box/dischi/masterOKnew/esatto.vmdk". It is not using a snapshot or other intermediate file. That VMDK is the only virtual hdd registered, and it is the only one referenced by a storage controller. There is no inconsistency there.
ilmone

Post by ilmone »

I hope someone can help me. In this situation the system is not secure. because daily I take a backup of the virtual disks that contain data not updated

Simone