Ubuntu used to work, now it's stuck on boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jnioms

Ubuntu used to work, now it's stuck on boot

Post by Jnioms »

Good day!
I used to run ubuntu (i think it was 14.04, im unable to enter or find the iso to be sure) as a virtual disk on Virtualbox.
The last time i used might have been like 3-4 month ago, and i had no problems.
But now when i tried to enter, first i find there was an issue because my 32 bit ubuntu partition figured as a 64 bit, and it gave an error. I look at settings just to be sure and when i save it went back to 32 bit and let me enter without the warning, which i find strange.

And now when i tried to boot, it opens the violet boot options from ubuntu (where it says Ubuntu, Advanced options for Ubuntu, Memory test, etc.) but once i select "Ubuntu" it gets stuck in a black screen with a frozen cursor (underscore) on the top left.

I am adding the log, if any one could help me i would be more than happy.

Thank you very much and best regards!
Attachments
Ubuntu-2017-03-16-09-23-07.log
log
(92.59 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Ubuntu used to work, now it's stuck on boot

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

00:00:04.426777 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
Enable hardware virtualization in your bios and see if it helps.

This is not a windows guest so moving to windows host.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Jnioms wrote:i find there was an issue because my 32 bit ubuntu partition figured as a 64 bit, and it gave an error.
That sounds strange, and given that you didn't include the exact error, could you repeat that?
00:00:03.559135 OS Product: Windows XP Professional
You're running an old OS. Actually the official support was dropped with VirtualBox 5.0.0, so I guess you're stuck.
00:00:04.426777 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
You should get into your BIOS and enable AMD-V. But according to a quick search this is not supported for your AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+, so I guess you're stuck.

Bottom line: Your computer is quite old for serious virtualization. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, we can't do too much...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jnioms

Post by Jnioms »

Thank you very much for all your support guys!
What is strange is that a couple of month ago it work without any issue, that is what make it strange for me. That now it suddenly stopped.

When it turned to 64 bits it was giving me an error that i should activate AMD-V in the BIOS, but after looking in the configuration and saving and magically going back to be a 32 bits OS, it stopped showing the warning.

I will try to download the last ubuntu and see what happens, if there is anything else i could try to see if i am able to enter without formatting, it would be awesome.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Jnioms wrote: What is strange is that a couple of month ago it work without any issue, that is what make it strange for me. That now it suddenly stopped.
? VirtualBox 5.1.18 didn't exist a couple of months ago - or even a couple of days ago. There is nothing strange about behaviour changing when you update the software.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Going with such an old host and updating to the latest VirtualBox (which I already said is unsupported in WinXP) and trying an even newer guest (which I'm not sure it supports your CPU anymore, search for it), I'm not sure it's going to bring you any closer to your end goal...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jnioms

Post by Jnioms »

mpack wrote:
Jnioms wrote: What is strange is that a couple of month ago it work without any issue, that is what make it strange for me. That now it suddenly stopped.
? VirtualBox 5.1.18 didn't exist a couple of months ago - or even a couple of days ago. There is nothing strange about behaviour changing when you update the software.
I updated because i was searching for similar cases and sometimes mods replied with "update to latest version and try again" so i wanted to make sure it wasnt the case.
I used the 4.x that was the one i always used.

I think i sudo update and dist-upgrade the last time, so maybe it might be an ubuntu issue and not a virtualbox, but just wanted to be sure.
Jnioms

Post by Jnioms »

Went back to VB 4.3.26, i have a Tiny Core Linux virtual machine as well, just tested it and it works.
I tried again with the Ubuntu one, and again the same issue with the black screen frozen with the underscore in the top left.
Again i am leaving the log hoping the error is another one, but it seems is Ubuntu-Virtualbox related.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2017-03-16-13-20-30.log
log 2.0
(101.5 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Hard to say what really happens without having a guest log. Could you boot your guest with splash screen disabled and post a picture of the guest screen when it's stuck?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And could you please ZIP the next log you might upload? It can help save a (virtual) tree or two...
Jnioms

Post by Jnioms »

Sorry, i will zip next time the log if anything changes.
This is the first and only screen I can see when it boots.

Ubuntu1

I choose Ubuntu (with edited command and delete the quiet splash) and inmediatly after i see the image below

Ubuntu2

The underscore does not blink, it frozen (and looking at the logs i send it says something about "suspend" so i think the system crashes/freezes

PS: Sorry i cant share the link of the images so i have to upload them through here until tomorrow
Attachments
Ubuntu Screenshots.zip
Screenshots
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Jnioms

Post by Jnioms »

Last post i think, i delete the virtual disk, created a new one, mount the latest ubuntu iso (16.10) and once it boot and i see the window with "test live ubuntu" or "install" it freezes again, and it looks exactly as the other logs, VB gets into "suspended" and there it dies.
I will keep on using the tiny core linux to test, and i will use a light version of linux if i find one i like, but it seems that VB-XP-Ubuntu is a no way street.

Thank you for your help guys, close the post if you want to.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Question. When you see this black screen can you hold the right ctrl key done and press the F1 function key then see if you enter a tty window?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jnioms wrote:mount the latest ubuntu iso (16.10)
My previous suggestion to you was not to try the latest (with either VirtualBox or Ubuntu), as they expect a lot of things from the hardware, things that you do not have.

Try with something older, like Ubuntu 12.04, which is a really nice older Ubuntu release. I used to have it up to 2 months ago, and I really regret updating to 16.04...

3-4 years ago, Ubuntu 12.04 was having the same video issues that 16.04 has today. Today 12.04 works great...
Jnioms

Post by Jnioms »

Perryg wrote:Question. When you see this black screen can you hold the right ctrl key done and press the F1 function key then see if you enter a tty window?
No, it is completly frozen, and in the logs it says it goes into "suspended" and there ir stays for eternity unless i force-close it
socratis wrote:
Jnioms wrote:mount the latest ubuntu iso (16.10)
My previous suggestion to you was not to try the latest (with either VirtualBox or Ubuntu), as they expect a lot of things from the hardware, things that you do not have.

Try with something older, like Ubuntu 12.04, which is a really nice older Ubuntu release. I used to have it up to 2 months ago, and I really regret updating to 16.04...

3-4 years ago, Ubuntu 12.04 was having the same video issues that 16.04 has today. Today 12.04 works great...
Thank you very much for the suggestion! I will try it tomorrow after i download the iso :)