Host-Only Network missing in VirtualBox Preferences/Network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Zsolt

Re: Host-Only Network missing in VirtualBox Preferences/Network

Post by Zsolt »

I spent another hour trying to find where 15.0.0.0 as subnet mask comes from, but in vain.

Coincidently, I detected and with great difficulties removed a registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\VritualRoot, that seems to be a remnant of a Comodo Internet Security program, the predecessor of my current Kaspersky. Maybe Comodo still has some hidden components in the system, however I tried to clean it up.

Socratis, I appreciate your efforts, but no worries if we give up...
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

The problem ceased automatically with version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2).

:D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Impressive! :)
Thanks for the feedback.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MiliBoy

Post by MiliBoy »

In the latest version that Host Only adapter is located here:

See "Global Tools" in the menu bar top right > Host Manager or
Or just choose File > Host Network Manager....
nsd

Post by nsd »

hello,
used this method as I stumbled while using virtualBox.
Open VB> Global tools> Create> tick 'dhcp server' to enable

Sorry, I'm new to portal and first reply. I have attached image separately. I tried attaching image with text.
Attachments
Global tools
Global tools
VBox create ethernet.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
DanKrueger

Post by DanKrueger »

I am having the same problem and believe it is a bug...
I think the problem is that when the new networking host manager was implemented the call to
VBoxManger hostonlyif remove vboxnet<N> did not work as expected.

If you notice the previous versions of the implementation of the host only network did not assign a #1 to the adapters. I think the code is not recognizing the original adaptor because it does not fit the pattern.

You will notice that when you create a new adaptor it now always creates #2 and never recreated or deletes #1. Anyway I'm just posting this so that someone who is familiar with the code can look at this aspect of it.

It is creating havoc with my testing servers.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DanKrueger wrote:You will notice that when you create a new adaptor it now always creates #2 and never recreated or deletes #1
This is an old problem with Windows. This is not a VirtualBox issue, neither it's a new one. Use the search capabilities of your favorite search engine to see for yourself.

Most of the times it is caused when people install a new VirtualBox version over a new one, and the Windows installer gets out of whack. It doens't happen all the time, it doesn't happen with everyone. And most importantly, the developers cannot reproduce it => they cannot fix it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.