Host-Only Network missing in VirtualBox Preferences/Network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Zsolt

Host-Only Network missing in VirtualBox Preferences/Network

Post by Zsolt »

I'm running VirtualBox 5.1.16 on a Windows 10 64 bit host. Although the VirtualBox Host-only adapter is alive, VirtualBox cannot see the adapter:
ipconfig.PNG
ipconfig.PNG (27.98 KiB) Viewed 52315 times
host-only-network-missing.PNG
host-only-network-missing.PNG (16.65 KiB) Viewed 52315 times
Looking at the VirtualBox Host-Only Adapter properties, the NDIS driver is selected:
virtualbox-host-only-adapter-properties.PNG
virtualbox-host-only-adapter-properties.PNG (16.71 KiB) Viewed 52315 times
I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 installed, and I suspect it is somehow in connection with the problem. (I have another computer with ESET antivirus, and there is no issue with VirtualBox host-only network.)

If I try to add a new host-only network in VirtualBox, it is created, but it still wouldn't appear in the host-only networks window. No error message appears.

I also created a bug report, in which I see this - I don't know if it is relevant or not:
00:00:03.309740 netIfGetBoundAdapters: failed to query INetCfg (0x80070005)
00:00:03.309740 NetIfList: netIfGetBoundAdapters failed (0x80070005)

Could you please give me a hint how to fix host-only network? Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Host-Only Network missing in VirtualBox Preferences/Network

Post by socratis »

Zsolt wrote:I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 installed, and I suspect it is somehow in connection with the problem. (I have another computer with ESET antivirus, and there is no issue with VirtualBox host-only network.)
That could very well be the source of your problem. Try disabling it temporarily. They have been known to interfere with the the proper installation of VirtualBox components. My gut feeling is that an "unknown" application (VirtualBox) is trying to modify a key Windows aspect and they are over-jealous about protecting it, going a step further than even Windows itself.

The other thing you should do is to re-install VirtualBox with the "proper" way:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Right-click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator". At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  4. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  5. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Socratis, I appreciate your suggestions, thank you.

VirtualBox uninstall/reinstall has been done several times, the extension pack is also installed. I have the latest VirtualBox version, today installed VirtualBox-5.1.18-114002-Win. Unfortunately all this wouldn't help. Also tried to disable Kaspersky, but no success either.

All is left maybe completely uninstall Kasperksy and give a try if the host-only network shows up in VirtualBox then...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Funny... It just worked on an identical situation. Are you sure you weren't only logged in as an Administrator, and you definitely right-clicked and chose RunAsAdministrator?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

My fault. I was superficial in thinking that it's enough that I'm administrator anyways.

Now I tried it, and it looked like OK. Unfortunately only when VirtualBox starts up the first time - then host-only adapter is really there. But next time I start it, host-only network is gone...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just remembered the Monty Python's "Spam sketch" for some reason...

Anyhow, you're in the 99.9% of people that think the same way, so no worries. I've been trying to highlight, bold, underline the whole thing. If you want to see the difference for yourself, it's really easy. Open a Command Prompt. Now, open one with Run-as-Administrator. Can you see the difference?

Or if you ever have an XP guest, with a single administrator user, try to 1) give the user the name "Administrator" -> denied. 2) boot that guest in safe mode. You magically have two users ;)
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Well, playing around with 'Run as administrator'... When I run VirtualBox again as admin, the host-only network is there. Strange, really. As if the host-only network requires admin privileges.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Zsolt wrote:Strange, really.
Something is messed up in your system, most probably because of the non-distinction between user/administrator. Here's what you do:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox.
  2. For every user on your system, delete the "C:\Users\<user>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml" file, or back it up, or rename it or move it. Those are your VirtualBox preferences, including the registered VMs. These are *not* the VMs, don't worry.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Install VirtualBox with *Run-As-Administrator*, just like before.
  5. Logon as *you*. Launch VirtualBox as *you*. You should *always* do that! Forget the Administrator account it messes things up in this context.
  6. You should see *none* of your VMs (don't worry). Go to the VirtualBox preferences » Networks » Host only networks. Is it there? It should be with the 192.168.56.1 default address.
  7. If all is good, then go to the folder where your VMs are located (default "C:\Users\<user>\VirtualBox VMs\"). Locate every <VM_Name>.VBOX file and double-click it. That's the VM's recipe, your VM. Do that for all your VMs.
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Hi Socratis, thank you for an even more detailed workaround. I also deleted the "C:\Users\<user>\.VirtualBox folders. I precisely followed your instuctions. The result:
  1. When I do the clean install as administrator, and VirtualBox starts up the first time, the host-only network is properly there, with 192.186.56.1 adapter address, just as you told.
  2. Next time I run VirtualBox as 'me', there is no host-only network any more.
  3. (If I run VirtualBox as administrator again, host-only network is still there.)
I repeated the entire procedure after removing Kaspersky Internet Security. It didn't make any difference.

Well, if you still have the energy to fight this problem, I appreciate it and give a try to your instructions. However, I can live with this situation, running VB as admin. This is not a production environment, I don't think there is much danger in doing so, although you say I'd better forget it. I absolutely don't worry about existing VMs, I can even delete them if that helps - nothing to lose there.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Something isn't right. Obviously...
  • So, when you're logged in as "Zsolt", and you go to the Network Center » Change adapter settings, what do you see? Do you see the VirtualBox Host-Only Adapter? If so, what are its Properties/Details?
  • Can you post your "C:\Users\Zsolt\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml"? Actually, if you search your whole HD for all "VirtualBox.xml" files, how many are there?
  • I wonder if the installer fails to install the HostOnly adapter. That would be something to check, because it was recently reported as fixed with 5.1.16, see ticket #16379: Host-only adapter can not be created on Windows 10 (VirtualBox v5.1.12). Please take a close look at it.
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

I always log in as 'Zsolt', because I'm the primary user of this computer, and I'm its admin of course. So whenever I log in, I do it with this very same account.

When I say I install VB as administrator, I mean clicking the installer file with the right button and select 'Run as administrator'.
When I say I run VB as administrator, I mean clicking the VB icon with the right button and select 'Run as administrator'.

Th Host-only adapter is installed, no matter if I use the 'Run as administrator' option or not, so the adapter is always there in the operating system. Its properties are these:
virtualbox-host-only-adapter-properties-2.PNG
virtualbox-host-only-adapter-properties-2.PNG (42.97 KiB) Viewed 52226 times
However the host-only adapter is obviously there in Windows if VB is installed, but it is hidden inside VB, unless I start VB with the option 'Run as administrator' - then the adapter is there, and working as expected.

VirtualBox.XML is only a single file on my entire HDD, the one I attached - although the search show it in two locations that are identical:
virtualbox-xml.PNG
virtualbox-xml.PNG (10.67 KiB) Viewed 52226 times
My Windows 10 used to be a Windows 7 Home, it was upgraded when MS granted the possibility to upgrade.
Attachments
VirtualBox.xml
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is getting weirder by the post... Here's what I'd like you to try, if you're still hanging in there:
  • Run VirtualBox normally, as you.
  • Go to the HostOnly networks. If a network exists I'd be surprised. In any case, add a new one. Set it to 102.168.111.1, or anything different from any potential local conflicts you might have or the 192.168.56.1 that's the default for the "default" one.
  • Open the Network and Sharing Center » Change adapter settings. What do you see?
    • Do you have a "VirtualBox Host-Only Network #2" adapter?
    • What are its properties/details?
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

For some reason I don't always get notified when a new post is created.

Well, I'm sorry for making the story weirder and weirder. This is ipconfig BEFORE the experiment you suggested:

Code: Select all

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8f6:73c3:5ac6:e1b2%28
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5de5:2dc4:df4c:a410%18
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.105
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.{DBA0FEBD-8574-456F-B925-FA076FEDD5E7}:

Tunnel adapter Helyi kapcsolat* 9:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{1593BFDB-4F4B-4395-9BD2-464FAE9F590D}:

I start VirtualBox as myself (no run as admin). Indeed, there is nothing in VirtualBox preferences/host-only networks, just as you anticipated.

Now I add a new one. UAC activated, adapter created. I look at its properties:
IP: 192.168.106.1
Mask: 15.0.0.0

Now ipconfig shows:

Code: Select all

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8f6:73c3:5ac6:e1b2%28
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : [b]192.168.56.1[/b]
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : [b]255.255.255.0[/b]

[b]Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network #2[/b]:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::44a9:8631:5929:9b3c%36
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.106.1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5de5:2dc4:df4c:a410%18
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.105
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{DBA0FEBD-8574-456F-B925-FA076FEDD5E7}:

Tunnel adapter Helyi kapcsolat* 9:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{1593BFDB-4F4B-4395-9BD2-464FAE9F590D}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FFACF638-BA5C-4B46-BF91-96EA72F2B866}:

Please note the difference in subnet mask. VB and ipconfig show different values at once!

Now I close and reopen VB preferences/host-only network, and alas, no adapter shown. In ipconfig there is no change, Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network #2 is still there, and it stays there even if I reboot.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Zsolt wrote: Now I add a new one. UAC activated, adapter created. I look at its properties:
IP: 192.168.106.1
Mask: 15.0.0.0
Where did that mask come from? That's quite an unusual mask to have there. Is it in the DHCP properties of the HostOnly network in VirtualBox? Or in the properties in the Network Center?
Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

I have no idea where this subnet mask came from. Let me search through the settings for that clue.