Error starting a VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Fielding

Error starting a VM

Post by Fielding »

VB 5.0.20r106931
under windows 8.1-64 pro

The errors I obtain are :

Code: Select all

Could not open the medium 'Y:\VirtualBox\Data\Machines\RAcci?n Acc\WindowsXPpro-bt\Snapshots/{8b9a0540-7b9a-48f3-a004-8801956d5379}.vdi'.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'Y:\VirtualBox\Data\Machines\RAcci?n Acc\WindowsXPpro-bt\Snapshots/{8b9a0540-7b9a-48f3-a004-8801956d5379}.vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
Result Code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: 
MediumWrap
Interface: 
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
How can I depure this errors because I have six more virtual machines with problems starting up.
A good tutorial or indications for solving this. Perhaps making a clone or security copy before.

Best Regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error starting a VM

Post by mpack »

The error seems clear enough to me. It's a simple "file not found", and it should be trivial to verify that the file in fact does not exist.

I notice that the drive letter is Y:, so I'm guess that this is an external drive whose drive letter changed, or a network drive for an offline network connection.
Fielding

Post by Fielding »

May be, but I have 5 vm in that state and present the message in the menu Inaccesible.
I know that i can only reach when I connect a harddrive F to the portatil.

The disk Y: is common is all my pc for data. In the pc we are talking about the y: disk exist. So I don't know what is happening.

Best Regards

P.D. Can you link a complete discussion about machines that cannot startup and solutions ?
Last edited by socratis on 6. Mar 2017, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Fielding

Post by Fielding »

The error type for inaccesible machines in my case is :

Code: Select all

Runtime error opening 'G:\VirtualBox.MOZ\Data\Machines\WindowsXPpro-BASE Clone\WindowsXPpro-BASE-BTWinVA.vbox' for reading: -103(Path not found.).
F:\tinderbox\win-5.0\src\VBox\Main\src-server\MachineImpl.cpp[740] (long __cdecl Machine::i_registeredInit(void)).
Result Code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
and I can't start the vm because the machine is not eligible.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Mar 2017, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Navigate to "C:\Users\<yourUsername>\.VirtualBox\". Post the "VirtualBox.xml" file, right after you zip it. Also, pick ONE VM that is failing, right-click and zip the chosen "<VM>.vbox". Attach that as well.

And you need to tell me how exactly you are moving your VMs and VDIs around. I would bet the Windows Explorer, but I need verification. Also, I need to know what Y:\ and G:\ are: internal | external, NTFS | FAT | FAT32 | exFAT | other? All the details.
Fielding wrote:Y:\VirtualBox\Data\Machines\RAcci?n Acc\...
That's definitely an invalid character to appear in a path, so I don't know how you ended up with that. You got to re-trace your step and tell me exactly how you're doing things. "I get this error" is not enough, not even for Hercules Poirot...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fielding

Post by Fielding »

Ok. I will try.

Y is an internal NTFS drive
G is an external NTFS drive via usb . I only use this few times.
When I copy a VM from the desktop to the laptop I usually export the machine and then import.

But a few months ago I bought another desktop. I usually reuses some hard disk from the old. Or copy the files from the old one to the new one with syncback utility.

It almost sure the virtual machines from the old disk Y: were copied to the new one. Then i indicate with system variables where are my virtual machines.

With the copy procedure I also make a copy of the Y: machines to a new external harddisk.

I remember to have some problems then , but finally those VM machine were working too.

I want o learn to debug the xml file or any other one. So I would like the link to the tutorial . Know how to solve these problems seems the very best.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Fielding wrote:I want to learn to debug the xml file or any other one. So I would like the link to the tutorial.
There isn't one I'm afraid. You've got to start reading the tea leaves and understand the comments from other more seasoned users. That's how I did it.

I still haven't seen all the information I asked for...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fielding

Post by Fielding »

I am not allowed to post information about that.
Sorry.

I will try to find more information without your help.
Open another post perhaps with the next virtual machine i can't open or receive an error.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Fielding wrote:I am not allowed to post information about that.
You will be asked for similar information in any topic you create. The information is quite basic and non identifiable, so I'm not sure what your objection is to providing it.

Also, and I'm not sure if you mean this, but cross posting - i.e. multiple topics concerning the same issue - are against the forum rules and will be deleted.
Fielding

Post by Fielding »

Please. I need help , no problems or menaces.

Try please to help any one other one , not me.

Best Regards
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure what your last message means. If English is not your native language, either post in your native language (Spanish?) or use Google Translate. Use small sentences. It works better.

Once again... No information, no help. That's the way it works.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure what help you require. You appear to have the VDI or the whole VM stored somehow in a folder containing an illegal character name (Windows hosts don't normally make it easy to create folders with illegal names). So, you need to unregister the VM, move it to a folder that has a valid name (I'd stick to roman letters, no punctuation), and re-register it there.

If you have paths explicitly stored in the <vm>.vbox file then the affected vdi files will have to be moved (into the VM folder) and the .vbox paths corrected. We can do some if that for you if you provide us with a zipped copy of the .vbox file, and agree to store the VDI files in the VM folder. If you refuse to provide a .vbox file then you have to do it yourself.

I don't think I can put it any simpler than that.
Fielding

Post by Fielding »

I will try and comment.
The strange thing is this :
I create a group of virtual machines some time ago. The name of the group use punctuacion. By example : Reconstrucción.
It has ten virtual machines inside. Two don't startup . The rest does.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Mar 2017, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Fielding wrote:I create a group of virtual machines some time ago. The name of the group use punctuacion. By example : Reconstrucción.
Well, if you review your own first post you will see that the name includes a punctuation character ('?'), not just an accented character.

Please try what has been suggested: unregister the VM, move it to a folder whose path contains only basic Roman characters, register the VM again.
Fielding

Post by Fielding »

I am here again.
i tried to clone or export the machine, but not was possible.

I revise the virtualbox.xml for the accent, but not detect nothing strange.

Seven times the string with the the word Reconstrucción that is assumed with other characters the ó .

So I must do what you are telling me but i don't know how.

I can , if you wish, paste portions of the virtualbox.xml here after removing personal or confidential strings i use in the names of some machines.

I also discover tonight a dissapeared group of four linux machines !

I am working now in Kali Linux and is a new experience.

But first I need to study more...

How can I unregister the one of the affected virtual machines ?

Best Regards