[Solved] Windows 10 host with Ubuntu guest; clipboard issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hossain

[Solved] Windows 10 host with Ubuntu guest; clipboard issue

Post by hossain »

I have windows 10 on my laptop with VirtualBox 5.1. I try to enable the bidirectional for shared clipboard. But I can not get to do any copy and paste between the windows and Ubuntu. Thanks! :)
Last edited by socratis on 24. Feb 2017, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved] in the title.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 host with Ubuntu guest; clipboard issue

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do: with the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the first "VBox.log" only, ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hossain

Post by hossain »

Thank you for the quick reply. I am waiting... ;)
Attachments
VBox.rar
The log file
(24.34 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.14 r112924 win.amd64 (Jan 16 2017 16:36:58) release log
00:03:15.420982 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.6 r110634 '5.1.6_Ubuntu'
Not only the Guest Additions (GAs) are old and need updating, they're actually the Ubuntu forked, not supported ones. You need to uninstall/purge them, reboot, and install the official ones that come with your VirtualBox installation, by going to the menu Devices » Insert GA CD image.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hossain

Post by hossain »

I update the extension package to 5.1, but it is still does not work.
Last edited by hossain on 24. Feb 2017, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Read the previous message again. I never said anything about re-installing Ubuntu itself. I'll highlight the key points:
  • Uninstall/purge the existing guest additions (GAs). You can use Synaptic to search for "vbox*" that's installed and purge them.
  • Reboot.
  • Host menu: Devices » Insert GAs CD.
  • Follow the instructions.
hossain

Post by hossain »

Thanks for the reply again and sorry that I did not read it well before, I try to install it from the Device, but it says:

Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine ubuntu.
Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• Shut down all your VMs.
  • Go to each VM's Settings. If there is a CD in the virtual CDdrive, remove the CD. Not the CDdrive itself!
  • Go to File » Virtual Media Manager (HostKey+D) » Optical disks. See if the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is listed. Select it, if yes. At the bottom see the "Attached to". It should say "Not attached".
  • Close VirtualBox and wait for a minute. Make sure that there are no processes running like: vbox*, virtual*, vm*.
  • Restart and launch your VM.
hossain

Post by hossain »

Thank you so much for all the help! I must say, I could not do it without your help!! :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So I take it that Copy/Paste works OK now?
hossain

Post by hossain »

Absolutely!! :) :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Cool... Marking as [Solved].