Can I Create A Virtual Ethernet Card

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
XpDeviL

Can I Create A Virtual Ethernet Card

Post by XpDeviL »

Hi everyone,

I have set up Win XP to my virtual box but my ethernet card doesn't support Win XP. So i can't connect to the internet with VM. My question is how can i connect to the internet with Virtual Machine that doesn't support my ethernet card?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can I Create A Virtual Ethernet Card

Post by scottgus1 »

Your XP guest does not see your host's Ethernet card. The XP guest will be given a card that XP can use, and you can connect the guest's Ethernet card to your physical card using the method chosen in the guest Settings. NAT is the usual method to get to the internet fast. Bridged makes your guest become just another PC in the physical network.

Keep in mind that XP's Internet Explorer is no longer compatible with modern websites. If you can open a command prompt inside the XP guest and ping Google at 8.8.8.8 successfully, then the internet connection is working. You could also try pinging Google.com. You will likely need a better browser, if you can get one that still supports XP at all.
XpDeviL

Post by XpDeviL »

scottgus1 wrote:Your XP guest does not see your host's Ethernet card. The XP guest will be given a card that XP can use, and you can connect the guest's Ethernet card to your physical card using the method chosen in the guest Settings. NAT is the usual method to get to the internet fast. Bridged makes your guest become just another PC in the physical network.

Keep in mind that XP's Internet Explrer is no longer complatible with modern websites.
I'm using XP for test my visual studio projects, if they have compability issues. There is a yellow question mark on Ethernet card. How can i connect my VM to internet?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

XpDeviL wrote:There is a yellow question mark on Ethernet card.
That's most probably because you changed the proposed default. Shut down the VM and go to the VM Settings » Network » Adapter 1 » Advanced » Adapter Type: PCnet-FAST III. In the same settings dialog set the "Attached to: NAT", just like scottgus1 suggested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
XpDeviL

Post by XpDeviL »

I didn't change anything. But it has selected "Intel PRO/1000" by default. I changed it to PCnet-FAST, and it worked. Thank you so much.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I was about to reply "But the default for WinXP is PCnet-FAST III, I'm sure about it!", but then I created a new WinXP VM and I realized that the defaults changed! Why? I have no clue yet, but it seems that the "Intel PRO/1000 T server" is indeed supported natively in Windows XP after all (just tested it).

I traced the change down in Jun/2016, and specifically in the changeset r61697: Main: default to E1000 I82543GC (PRO/1000 T Server) for Windows XP (32-bit) and Windows 2003 Server (32-bit).

What happened is that your post "forced" me into updating my defaults database, which I haven't done since 2014-02-24, exactly three years ago to the day :shock: ! I may post a topic about it after all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I had not noticed that either, but I just checked an XP guest I set up recently and it has the Intel PRO/1000 T Server NIC. The driver is from 2001, so even the original release version of XP should have it "out of the box".
Bill