IDXGIOutputDuplication::AcquireNextFrame() does not work on 5.0.32

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Hzj_jie

IDXGIOutputDuplication::AcquireNextFrame() does not work on 5.0.32

Post by Hzj_jie »

This API used to work on 5.0.30, but after upgrading to 5.0.32, it won't work any more. The API always returns blank screen.
Since this API highly depends on video adapter driver, I doubt whether anything between these two versions breaks the scenario. I have tried 5.1.14, it also won't work.
I used 5.0.30 with the extension from 5.1.14, it worked well. So it looks like something in host side may be wrong.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: IDXGIOutputDuplication::AcquireNextFrame() does not work on 5.0.32

Post by socratis »

Hzj_jie wrote:I used 5.0.30 with the extension from 5.1.14
I don't know why the API doesn't work, but never mix VirtualBox version with the ExtPack version. All sorts of things can go wrong.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hzj_jie

Post by Hzj_jie »

To make it more clear, I tried following combinations,
5.0.32 with 5.0.32 extension, does not work
5.1.14 with 5.1.14 extension, does not work
5.0.30 with 5.1.14 extension, works
5.0.30 with 5.0.30 extension, *does not work*, this is out of my expectation. It stops working without a reboot of client OS immediately after I downgraded the extension from 5.1.14 to 5.0.30. And it still did not work after a reboot.

An MSDN sample of the APIs can be found by searching "DXGI desktop duplication sample". I cannot post urls because of the lifetime of my account.

I rebooted also the host machine, did not take effect.
I am still trying other versions.
Hzj_jie

Post by Hzj_jie »

I cannot tell the root cause, since recently my Windows 10 client OS has also updated.
I installed 5.0.16 with corresponding extension, it did not work neither. But it used to work.