BSOD when using wireless card.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lcrc

BSOD when using wireless card.

Post by lcrc »

Hi,

I am using a new XPS 15 9560 with a Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter. The BSOD is caused when virtual box tries to use that network card for a VM. It happens when I build a VM and when I have built a VM with a wired connection and tried to run it using the wireless card. Windows logs show event ID 41, task category 63, source kernel-power. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks for the help.

Code: Select all

Log-

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 
   [ Guid]  {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} 

EventID 41 

Version 4 

Level 1 

Task 63 

Opcode 0 

Keywords 0x8000400000000002 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2017-02-13T21:34:11.198544900Z 

EventRecordID 3505 

Correlation 

- Execution 

[ ProcessID]  4 
   [ ThreadID]  8 

Channel System
Last edited by socratis on 17. Feb 2017, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: BSOD when using wireless card.

Post by socratis »

lcrc wrote:It happens when I build a VM and when I have built a VM with a wired connection and tried to run it
That means it crashes on both cases? Both when you create and when you run the VM?

Do you have any software installed that might interfere with the wireless card or the network? Firewalls, wireless management software, network management software, antivirus or anything else?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lcrc

Post by lcrc »

I had the issue and uninstalled the drivers completely then downloaded the newer drivers from dells website. So the version it came with and the version of their website cause the issue. As far as I know there is no like Intel wireless software on the computer. I can try to do it again and make sure I clear everything this time. But I thought I had got everything last time I did the uninstall. I disabled the windows firewall and the only thing running for antivirus is malwarebytes and windows defender which I have never had an issue with before.

The issue is caused either on the install of the vm when I turn the network access on during the install and or start up a VM with the network access when its already active.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Feb 2017, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
lcrc

Post by lcrc »

Also I just did a dell hardware scan and it came up with no issues when it scanned the card,
Last edited by socratis on 17. Feb 2017, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You don't have to quote every time the whole message just to reply. There is a "Post Reply" button at the bottom left, after the messages. It keeps the conversations shorter.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lcrc

Post by lcrc »

Ah ok, thanks. Sorry new here didn't know protocol.

Also I glanced at the VM logs and I don't see anything in them about the issue. I will look aat hem in more depth and post anything I see.
lcrc

Post by lcrc »

Anyone have anything?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Get the latest drivers for the new Wi-Fi card, if you haven't already. Don't install any special fancy "We-can-run-your-Wi-Fi-better-than-windows-can" software from the manufacturer. Then try uninstalling Virtualbox, rebooting, then re-installing Virtualbox by right-clicking the installer icon and choosing Run As Administrator from the right-click menu.

If none of this works, It might just be an incompatibility between VB & the Wi-Fi card drivers. The devs might want to hear about it on the Bugtracker