How do you enable MIDI support on Windows 98?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Demo

How do you enable MIDI support on Windows 98?

Post by Demo »

I have Windows 98 SE along with SCI Tech Display Doctor display drivers installed. I tried multiple times downloading the AC97 drivers from the Realtek site. I changed the audio to ICH AC97 in the settings, mounted the extracted drivers directory as an iso and installed them successfully on startup. However MIDI music still won't play. I've tried restarting, reinstalling, and updating the drivers again through the device manager. It just does not work.

Are there any other ways to get MIDI support on virtualbox? Would I have better luck if I tried installing Windows ME/2000 on virtualbox or do those have the same issues as 98 with having no MIDI support?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How do you enable MIDI support on Windows 98?

Post by socratis »

Check the last answer in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60231
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Demo

Post by Demo »

thank you, but I've already tried installing Yamaha XG on my virtualbox, but it still doesn't work. In-game MIDI music still won't play. Is there another MIDI support program out there for Windows 98SE?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The best way to tell what Virtualbox can or can't do is to look in the manual. And the best way to search the manual is to open the PDF version at:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\doc\UserManual.pdf

for the version you are running, or to download the pdf version of the manual for the latest version of Virtualbox at:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

then scroll down to the "User Manual" heading and click the first link in that section.

The PDF version allows searching of the entire manual by search words. Searching "MIDI" or "midi" returns no results. So likely there is no Virtualbox way to turn on or off MIDI support.

Another way to search is to type your search terms into Google and add "site:virtualbox.org" to see forum and wiki and Bugtracker results, or "site:forums.virtualbox.org" to see just forum results. Try that in your MIDI-enabling search.
Demo

Post by Demo »

thank you. So there's no possible way to get MIDI working on Virtualbox then? even with external drivers/MIDI synthesizer programs? That's unfortunate if so
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I told you to read the last answer in the thread that I linked to. In case you didn't, here you go:
michaln wrote:No one wrote the code (sic. MIDI), and there's zero demand from paying customers. Neither seems likely to change anytime soon.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Demo wrote:That's unfortunate if so
Actually, if one looks at it the right way, it's very fortunate, for Demo, for it gives you the opportunity to shine as a source-code writer! Source code can be contributed by users. So you can be the guy or gal who gives MIDI to Virtualbox!
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Demo wrote:I have Windows 98 SE along with SCI Tech Display Doctor display drivers installed. I tried multiple times downloading the AC97 drivers from the Realtek site. Are there any other ways to get MIDI support on virtualbox? Would I have better luck if I tried installing Windows ME/2000 on virtualbox or do those have the same issues as 98 with having no MIDI support?
Actually there is.
Choosing AC97 in Audio settings and installing the Realtek driver for Windows 95 from the Win98 Control Panel should work.
The Realtek exe file won't run in Win98, and driver files must be extracted - below link is an iso with the drivers extracted.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3hQFJ ... -1Cq0AWt2w (updated)
Last edited by jorgensen on 5. Oct 2021, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
vbuseruk

Post by vbuseruk »

Demo wrote:thank you, but I've already tried installing Yamaha XG on my virtualbox, but it still doesn't work. In-game MIDI music still won't play. Is there another MIDI support program out there for Windows 98SE?
Read somewhere that someone had success using the Yamaha YG20 software but I'm not sure if that it is still available.
locaniek

Post by locaniek »

jorgensen wrote:
Demo wrote:I have Windows 98 SE along with SCI Tech Display Doctor display drivers installed. I tried multiple times downloading the AC97 drivers from the Realtek site. Are there any other ways to get MIDI support on virtualbox? Would I have better luck if I tried installing Windows ME/2000 on virtualbox or do those have the same issues as 98 with having no MIDI support?
Actually there is.
Choosing AC97 in Audio settings and installing the Realtek driver for Windows 95 from the Win98 Control Panel should work.
The Realtek exe file won't run in Win98, and driver files must be extracted - below link is an iso with the drivers extracted.
That worked, thank you very much :)
GotD

Post by GotD »

Installing the AC97 driver doesn`t work for me.

What does work to get MIDI working in Win98se:

- Connect FDTI Roland usb to mini din 8 cable
- VM settings -> Com1 (port mode: host device) to path/address COM3 (this is the com address of FDTI on my host)
- install Roland midi driver win98/95 on VM, and direct it to the COM port.

But now my problem, I want to send midi signals to WIN98, but not from the Roland synth but from the DAW on the host. So I need at least two MIDI devices in win98 ported to the COM port. There are two com ports, but I can use only one... Does anybody have an idea?

I need some MIDI driver which support multiple instruments in WIN98.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

GotD wrote: 30. Jun 2023, 12:28 There are two com ports, but I can use only one
This is a subject for a different topic, per One issue per thread.

Thanks for showing a way to get MIDI support through serial!