Critical Error when loading Developer Days

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DeNiro

Critical Error when loading Developer Days

Post by DeNiro »

Hi,

I have imported the developerdays application from the USB drive (where I had copied from my college) onto my Laptop which is running on Windows 10. Everything went smoothly when importing but when I click start I get a critical error and guru meditation mode. It won't let me post a pic as I have to be a member of 1 day. I have attached the logs.

Would really appreciate it if someone can help as I need to do assignments from home ASAP.

Cheers,
DeNiro
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(10.51 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Critical Error when loading Developer Days

Post by scottgus1 »

I think you got the wrong log there, you need to cut down a different tree.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window, and choose Show Logs. Save the first tab "Vbox.log", zip it, and post it in the Upload Attachment tab like you did the VBoxSVC log.

FWIW, you can post screenshots here using the Upload Attachment tab same as log files & zip files. In fact it's better to post them via Upload Attachment, since most folks here won't click on third-party file & picture sharing sites.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There is nothing stopping you from attaching pics, the only thing you can't do is post external links. Attach the pic locally.

The service log is not very useful for diagnosing VM problems, so please post a VM log file: with the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (nothing else) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
DeNiro

Post by DeNiro »

Apologies. I've uploaded a zipped "Vbox.log"and a pic of the error.

Cheers.
Attachments
devdays.PNG
devdays.PNG (82.11 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
Oracle Developer Days-2017-02-16-14-35-50.zip
(44.35 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows this:
00:00:04.634038 Guest OS type: 'Oracle'
00:00:04.636824 WARNING! 64-bit guest type selected but the host CPU does NOT support HW virtualization.
00:00:05.098160 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests for what to tweak.

PS I found this by opening the log and searching for "guru", which led me to this:
00:00:20.736174 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -1432 (VERR_PATM_IPE_TRAP_IN_PATCH_CODE)
And a google search on "VERR_PATM_IPE_TRAP_IN_PATCH_CODE" led me here: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16399 which mentioned the 64-bit VT-x as a possible issue.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The patch manager is responsible for replacing unsafe (non-VMable) code with safe code, on systems where VT-x is not available. The PATM is a legacy technology, not always guaranteed to work. Enabling VT-x (per Scottgus's suggestion) will certainly fix this crash.
DeNiro

Post by DeNiro »

Sorry I am new to VMs and am confused as to what it is I have to do exactly. I have checked if the VT-x is enabled and I got this from the command prompt.

I had gone into the BIOS config like the linked thread said but it just mentioned that it was Supported - there was no option to enable or disable it. It's a Samsung laptop I have.
Attachments
VT.PNG
VT.PNG (3.27 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
DeNiro

Post by DeNiro »

Nevermind - I changed it to 64-bit as the last point suggested and it has fixed the issue.

Thanks for your help. :D