[Solved] Still can't see 64bit option in Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
suby251337

[Solved] Still can't see 64bit option in Virtualbox

Post by suby251337 »

Hello & Thanks for your time -

I've been doing research side by side with my buddy for the better part of a day trying everything we can think of to get my W10 Pro Desktop to support 64 bit guest OS'. We discovered it couldn't run them when Vagrant crashed my computer ;). When I manually try to deploy a VM, VirtualBox doesn't show a 64 bit option. I've checked several articles, including this one I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests, and have followed the remediation steps, but to no avail.

Computer Info:

- W10 Pro 64 bit
- Asus ROG 2011v3 Mobo running BIOS version from mid 2016 (I think it's version 3011)
- Intel 5960x chip
- I've validated that Intel's VT-X config is enabled in the BIOS.
- ***Important Note*** I had Hyper-V installed, and then (per research direction) removed it via Windows Add/Remove features.
- ***Important Note*** I had Malwarebytes AV installed on a version from last year. I've since removed it.
- I'm running VirtualBox 5.1.14 with the extension pack
-I've reinstalled VirtualBox since I've made the aforementioned modifications.

I'm at a loss now.... My buddy and I have been trying to figure out a way to see if an application is still hogging or orphaned as hogging VT-X, but it's not a familiar space for us. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

B
Last edited by socratis on 20. Feb 2017, 01:21, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Still can't see 64bit option in Virtualbox

Post by socratis »

Open a Command Prompt window. Assuming that you installed VirtualBox in its default location, type the command:
  • "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxBugReport"
It will generate a "YYYY-MM-DD-hh-mm-ss-bugreport.tgz" file in the current directory. Attach that file in your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Note: if the resulting file is too big to upload, you'll have to "massage" it in order to remove the excess weight. Unpack it in a directory, remove the "setupapi.dev.log" and "setupapi.app.log". Re-pack the remaining files in an archive and upload that.

PS. I fixed that URL for you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JakeB

Post by JakeB »

I also cannot see the option for 64-bit installation. This is the first VM I've attempted to load on this Windows 10 Home machine.

Even after removing the ...dev.log file it was still too large to upload, I've put it on DropBox dot com but cannot post the complete link.
/s/5wtezirr9c86p7t/2017-02-15-00-29-57-bugreport.tgz?dl=0

RESOLVED: After rereading the previous post I went into the BIOS and changed the setting under System, Security Virtualization Technology (VTx/VTd) TMP to ENABLE.
Now when I try to create a new VM I see the 64-bit option.
Last edited by JakeB on 15. Feb 2017, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@JakeB
Did you go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests? The FAQ has never failed, but since "suby251337" detailed each step, I decided to look at a more detailed report. You didn't convince me that you went through the FAQ.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JakeB

Post by JakeB »

socratis

You are correct, I had not enabled VTx. All is now good. Thank You.
suby251337

Post by suby251337 »

Attached are the logs
Attachments
2017-02-15-05-28-40-bugreport.zip
(28.43 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

From the "DriverServices":
SERVICE_NAME: hvservice
DISPLAY_NAME: Hypervisor/Virtual Machine Support Driver
        TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER  
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

SERVICE_NAME: NdisVirtualBus
DISPLAY_NAME: Microsoft Virtual Network Adapter Enumerator
        TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER  
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
I'm not sure about the 2nd one, but the 1st one tells me that you have Hyper-V enabled and running. Disable it from the "Windows Features" in the Control Panel (not the Settings) and make sure that Hyper-V is not enabled. Also make sure that no applications require it, like phone emulators, debuggers, antivirus, etc. Then shut down (not reboot) the computer. Restart it and see if that fixes it...
suby251337

Post by suby251337 »

Hey Socratis,

Thanks for this piece of info. It helped us draw the conclusion that an orphan service was left behind. The process in which I initially removed Hyper-V was via the GUI in Add/Remove Features. I followed the PowerShell approach documented here:
http://www.poweronplatforms.com/enable- ... dows-10-8/

I re-enabled Hyper-V using an elevated powershell ISE prompt. This made me restart the computer.
I then disabled Hyper-V using an elevated powershell ISE prompt. This made me restart the computer.
Upon reboot, I started up Virtualbox, and was automatically able to see that there was 64 bit options. For others who may be wondering, a re-install of Virtualbox was not required.

**The offending service was "HV Host Service"***

Cheers,

B & G
Last edited by socratis on 20. Feb 2017, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks for reporting back. That piece of information about the "HV Host Service" might prove helpful in the future.
karlkras
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by karlkras »

JakeB wrote:I also cannot see the option for 64-bit installation. This is the first VM I've attempted to load on this Windows 10 Home machine.
Do you literally mean Window 10 Home edition?
If so, I wasn't aware that this OS even supported virtualization?
Please, I'm disturbed.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: [Solved] Still can't see 64bit option in Virtualbox

Post by BillG »

Windows 10 Home does not include Hyper-V. Perhaps that is what confused you.

You can certainly run 64-bit guests in VirtualBox on Windows 10 Home if your hardware and BIOS support hardware virtualization.
Bill
AGN

Post by AGN »

Hi All,
I have checked the conversation and even I have the same problem in my PC.
virtualization is already enabled and I am not getting 64-bit option in the dropdown of virtual box.
Windows version is: windows 10 enterprise.
can you help?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

AGN wrote:can you help?
@AGN - Not really, based on that little information. Have you tried reading and following the guidelines in the FAQ linked to in several posts above? If not, that is where to start. If you still can't resolve it then we will need more information. If you have to, create a 32bit guest, boot it until it gives the warning about no bootable media found, shut it down and then post the VBox.log file.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm going to lock this topic, as it now looks likely only to draw "me too" posts from people who have not read beyond the title of this [Solved] topic.

Those with the described problem should read the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

If that doesn't resolve your problem then read it again! Keep in mind the mantra: your case is not an exception, and there is no bug.