USB device captured but not connected

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
IMT-DEV-drone

USB device captured but not connected

Post by IMT-DEV-drone »

Hi,
I'm trying to connect an antenna (CrazyRadio from the CrazyFlie kit www .bitcraze.io/crazyflie-2/ ) and running it on a virtual machine given by the same website. The problem is, it's working fine on one of my computer (with windows 10) but there is a problem on my laptop (also with windows 10 64bits). I have configured it exactly the same. It seems that the device is detected by virtualBox but the connexion doesn't occur. In fact, when I click on the bottom right to capture it, it indeed captures the device but not connect it (there is no tick next to the name). When I try to recapture it, I get :

Code: Select all

USB device 'Bitcraze Crazyradio PA USB Dongle' with UUID {c700ccd7-b595-40c7-a79d-cfb4c4a528a2} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Code d'erreur : 
E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Composant : 
HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface : 
IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Fonction appelée : 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I have installed the extension pack, the latest version of virtualBox and activated the intel virtualization system in my BIOS (UEFI) settings. Do you have any idea how I could make it work on my laptop ?

Thanks in advance ! :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB device captured but not connected

Post by socratis »

IMT-DEV-drone wrote:I have configured it exactly the same.
I would like to see some evidence that proves that. Here is what you should do, for both the desktop and the laptop:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log". Save the 1st one, ZIP it and attach it in your response. Appropriately named.
  2. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response. Appropriately named.
  3. With the USB device plugged in, open up Command Prompt and post the output of the command:
    • "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" list usbhost
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IMT-DEV-drone

Post by IMT-DEV-drone »

Hi,
Thanks for your quick answer and for taking my problem seriously. :)
Here are the files you've asked me.
Attachments
log.zip
The logs, output of the cmd and vbox files for laptop and desktop installations
(54.34 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Excellent job in collecting the requested information!

In the laptop, VM Settings » Ports » USB » USB Device Filters, delete the "Bitcraze Crazyradio PA USB Dongle [0053]" filter.

Also, you may want to update your guest additions in both VMs, from 5.0.14 to the ones that match your current VirtualBox version, 5.1.14.

Finally, when you imported the VM, there was an option to "Reinitialize the MAC address of all network cards", which you didn't do. So now both your VMs have the exact same network card, something that could cause you problems. Go to VM Settings » Network » Adapter 1 » Advanced » MAC Address, click on the two semi-round arrows icon to generate a new, random MAC address. You can do that on the laptop, the desktop or both if you want.

PS. On a side note, I'm also a member at the local airclub and we deal with aeromodels as well (I have two helos). What do you think of the Bitcraze? Both as an entry model for kids and as a programming learning platform?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IMT-DEV-drone

Post by IMT-DEV-drone »

socratis wrote:In the laptop, VM Settings » Ports » USB » USB Device Filters, delete the "Bitcraze Crazyradio PA USB Dongle [0053]" filter.

Also, you may want to update your guest additions in both VMs, from 5.0.14 to the ones that match your current VirtualBox version, 5.1.14.

Finally, when you imported the VM, there was an option to "Reinitialize the MAC address of all network cards", which you didn't do. So now both your VMs have the exact same network card, something that could cause you problems. Go to VM Settings » Network » Adapter 1 » Advanced » MAC Address, click on the two semi-round arrows icon to generate a new, random MAC address. You can do that on the laptop, the desktop or both if you want.
I have done everything you said and but the problem is still here. :/
One thing that might interest you : I found that the problem is not particulary related to this device. I can't even connect my webcam to my VM. I get the same

Échec de la connexion du périphérique USB Bitcraze Crazyradio PA USB Dongle [0053] à la machine virtuelle BitcrazeVM.

USB device 'Bitcraze Crazyradio PA USB Dongle' with UUID {d0fa2c40-07e9-409e-a4a8-5b13ff2968e1} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Code d'erreur : E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Composant : HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface : IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Fonction appelée : IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

for the crazyRadio and

Échec de la connexion du périphérique USB Bison Lenovo EasyCamera [4209] à la machine virtuelle BitcrazeVM.

USB device 'Bison Lenovo EasyCamera' with UUID {5c5516df-4a13-4891-a6e7-3971cdcb2c64} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Code d'erreur : E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Composant : HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface : IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Fonction appelée : IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

for the camera
Do you have any other idea to make it work ? :/
socratis wrote: PS. On a side note, I'm also a member at the local airclub and we deal with aeromodels as well (I have two helos). What do you think of the Bitcraze? Both as an entry model for kids and as a programming learning platform?
I have no background with drones. :) In fact, I would like to use the bitcraze kit for a group project for my engineering school this semester :)

Thanks again for helping me !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

IMT-DEV-drone wrote:I found that the problem is not particulary related to this device. I can't even connect my webcam to my VM.
Webcams are a completely different class of USB devices. Do you have a USB stick that you could try? Also, check your laptop's BIOS settings, anything USB, PCI, bus related. Actually, check everything.
IMT-DEV-drone

Post by IMT-DEV-drone »

I got the same warning with USB sticks. There is nothing related to USB, PCI or bus in the BIOS settings (except for booting). :(
Last edited by socratis on 15. Feb 2017, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That makes me wonder what's different in your laptop then. There must be another piece of software that's interfering with VirtualBox. Try to uninstall VirtualBox (your VMs will be fine), reboot, install VirtualBox and the ExtPack and try again. I'm running short on ideas here...
IMT-DEV-drone

Post by IMT-DEV-drone »

I did what you recommended but still, nothing. :/
I have opened a topic on Lenovo's forum to see they have ideas about a process that could interfere : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10 ... -p/3574144
Meanwhile, I will use my other computer even though it's not practical. If I have any news or solutions, I will be pleased to share it here. ;)

Thanks for your time !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

IMT-DEV-drone wrote:If I have any news or solutions, I will be pleased to share it here.
That would be wonderful. Good luck!
Amberale

Post by Amberale »

Hi, I have the same problem; it's like the VM captures the usb port (host makes the disconnect sound) then host/Windows takes it back (host connect sound follows). After that trying to connect gives the busy message. I get the same results on a Surface 4 pro host and a desktop host (ASUS motherboard) both with Windows 10 - testing with thumb drive.

I've searched and found other cases of this with no identification of root cause. One guy worked around (not really "solved") by buying another usb card for his computer: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85372

Might be usb driver related. Or, Windows or some app is a bit aggressive. (Think the app "let go" of the ports when he reinstalled the driver but went back to normal after reboot. And the new usb card ports maybe had different drivers.) I might try to take that root today If I can stand to look at this problem anymore ;)

I hoped Windows safe mode would help the re-capture from happening but the vboxdrv service would not run in safe mode.

I have also read the basics and troubleshooting page. Because of the "re-capture" aspect of this issue it seems to be host related, not guest or even VirtualBox.

If you have any suggestions to this specific re-capture situation, please let me know; otherwise, no need to respond. I'm trying to add my experience to the issue.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jan 2018, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I honestly don't understand the idea of "re-capturing". Doesn't compute.
Amberale wrote:I have also read the basics and troubleshooting page.
If you mean the "USB basics and troubleshooting", then you should follow the advice of the last post. But not here, that's an old thread. Please open a new one and pick a title...
EdS

Post by EdS »

Not exactly on topic, but I was getting "busy with a previous request" Please try again later." when I tried to attach a flash drive from my Windows 10 Host to my OSX guest. Turned out that my install of "No machine" aka NxMachine, a remote desktop application on the host was the problem. I uninstalled NxMachine, and Bam, both filters and on the fly connected a usb stick. I was tipped off by looking at the windows device tree and saw the NxMachine usb device.