WIN10 64b host and ethernet card on hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
galexis

WIN10 64b host and ethernet card on hosts

Post by galexis »

Hi,
I use different VM XP and seven on several laptop.
In my new laptop DELL with WIN10 64 bits, I have problem with ethernet connexion.
For XP host I use: "PCnet-fast III" card and for W7 host : "INTEL PRO/1000 desktop" card. Connexion mode, attached to: "bridged adapter"

When I connect ethernet cable, connexion seems to be ok on host, but it's impossible to ping IP. I have to switch connexion mode 1 time to "NAT" and come back to "bridged adapter" to solve problem.

Thanks for your help.
galexis

Re: WIN10 64b host and ethernet card on hosts

Post by galexis »

UUUUP !
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry for missing this one, Galexis!
galexis wrote:I use different VM XP and seven on several laptop
The underlined part may be the key. If you are Brdging to a Wi-Fi adapter, be it known that Bridged doesn't always work with Wi-Fi, due to poorly-written host Wi-Fi adapter drivers and/or wireless access point firmware. If it works, good. If it doesn't, even after updating the Wi-Fi adapter card driver, then you won't be able to Bridge with Wi-Fi.

NAT on Wi-Fi does work, though. And you can put in a second network set to Host-Only so the laptop host OS and the guest OS can communicate.

If your laptop has a wired Ethernet connection, try that.
galexis

Post by galexis »

I don't use wifi, only wired Ethernet connection. I have set only one network on virtualbox setting.
Bests regards.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, please could you pick one guest that is displaying this problem and attach the guest's .vbox 'recipe' file as a zip file, using the Upload Attachment tab under the textbox where you type new posts. You can find the guest's .vbox file by right-clicking the guest in the main Virtualbox window and choosing Show in Explorer. Be sure your host OS is set to show known extensions.

Also please clarify what IP you are trying to ping.
galexis

Post by galexis »

See files ... it's W7 VM.
Attachments
CODESYSv3.5sp9_SOMACHINEv4.1SP2.vbox.zip
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, the .vbox file says the guest is Bridged to "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM". Good.

Keep in mind the Windows Firewall defaults to not respond to ping, you have to turn that response on. If ping is turned on properly and you still can't ping, please tell me what IP address you are trying to ping.

Also, please post the text output of "ipconfig" in the host PC and in the guest OS, as text so we can search it if needed, and identify which OS each ipconfig came from.

After you run the ipconfig commands, please shut down the guest, then post the most recent log for that guest as a zip file.
galexis

Post by galexis »

This files is after switching connexion mode and a good connection with IP of Programmable Logic Controller 10.223.11.82 on my professionnal network.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Accessing a network device outside the host PC requires Bridged or NAT. For the device to access the guest without the guest inviting it to do so, Bridged is required.

I recall recently there were a few posts where folks who changed connection type did not get a working connection afterwards. Is that what's happening? You change connection type and the network does not reconnect?

If so I don't remember how to solve this problem. I think it came up in the last couple months but I don't remember if there was a solution. You can edit your first post's title to reflect that you lose connection after changing connection type, or some such more descriptive title, and hopefully the folks who helped with the other threads may come here.
galexis

Post by galexis »

scottgus1 wrote:Accessing a network device outside the host PC requires Bridged or NAT. For the device to access the guest without the guest inviting it to do so, Bridged is required.

I recall recently there were a few posts where folks who changed connection type did not get a working connection afterwards. Is that what's happening? You change connection type and the network does not reconnect?
The problem isn't when change mode, but change mode is the solution.

I open VM in bridged mode and try to ping or connect with softwar to device: it doesn't work, but icon on systray on guest say "all s ok!".
I switch connection mode to NAT for 2 seconds and come back on bridged mode : successfull connection.
galexis

Post by galexis »

Attached: capture of screen of ipconfig result.
Attachments
Ipconfig on guest with problem
Ipconfig on guest with problem
Capture ipconfog guest with problem.PNG (31.21 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Ipconfig on host with problem
Ipconfig on host with problem
Capture ipconfig host with problem.PNG (47.96 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
galexis

Post by galexis »

and after switching mode bridged to NAT, and next NAT to bridged
Attachments
Ipconfig on host after switching mode
Ipconfig on host after switching mode
Capture ipconfig host OK.PNG (43.5 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Ipconfig on guest after switching mode
Ipconfig on guest after switching mode
Capture ipconfig guest OK.PNG (20.29 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

galexis wrote:I open VM in bridged mode and try to ping or connect
How do you "open the VM"? Are you restoring it? Un-pausing it? Or are you doing a clean start? You didn't mention anything in your description so far.

Also what about your host? Is the host sleeping at any point?

And finally, are you at any point unplug the network cable?

Start the VM (from boot). Observe the problem. Shut down the VM (completely). Right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the first "VBox.log" only, ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
galexis

Post by galexis »

Hi, files after shutdown VM with problem.
Attachments
CODESYSv3.5sp9_SOMACHINEv4.1SP2.zip
(124.8 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
galexis

Post by galexis »

I still have the problem with last version of virtualbox 5.2, with all VM...